1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That last one is crazy, but fun. The risk/reward of trying to reach first on a wild pitch would probably make the analytics departments heads explode.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

He might of got off easy.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That also means catchers are now going to have to treat any ball in the dirt like there's a runner on third (instead of the half-hearted back hand pick they're used to with no one on), which will be interesting how that adjustment will go. Also if you have a runner in scoring position and an empty first, do you try to take off knowing they may be more worried about guys on second or third.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Is the Atlantic League completely starved for offence? If not I don’t get the impetus for any of them really.

The pickoff one...lefties lose their only advantage holding runners on. And does the rule mean a pitcher can’t spin to second anymore? That’s pretty big too.

I really don’t like the stealing first one. Catchers have the toughest job on the field. Let them breathe a bit with nobody on.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

MLB bought the Atlantic League specifically to experiment with rule changes.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I've seen too many Atlantic League games. It gave Tracy MacGrady a contract. I saw Carl Everett bat with his feet half on the plate, the pitchers still couldn't get him out.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The stealing first base one just sounds weird. Suppose a pitch is at a right-handed batter’s feet. Batter skips rope and goes a couple of steps towards first. Catcher gets the ball and tags the batter. Is that considered a steal attempt or just an avoidance of a HBP?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd have to think once both feet are out of the batters' boxes and headed toward first, you're free game.

But then, is the batter safe if he dives back to home plate? By logic, he'd have to be.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I feel like baseball is slowly, irreversible decline into irrelevance. NBA finals go to late june. Then the free agent market is one of the biggest sporting 'events' of the year. Two out of every four years, there is a World Cup to sap eyeballs.

Part of the problem: Bryce Harper and Manny Machado made pretty big headlines during their FA runs. Not Kawhi-type headlines, but still pretty big.

Now that the season has started, Harper and Machado are close to invisible.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you want to disappear from American society, becoming a Padre is a good start.

Draft saved Draft deleted