1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walt Michaels R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jul 12, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Never heard that either. So why didn't the NYT report that while he was alive?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

At halftime of their divisional playoff game against the Los Angeles Raiders in January 1983, Michaels received a harassing phone call in the Jets’ locker room. He screamed in anger, sure that the call was orchestrated by Al Davis, the Machiavellian managing general partner of the Raiders. Davis denied it, and a Queens bartender later said that he had made the call on his own.

Gotta love a coach picking up the phone at halftime of a playoff game.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don't much remember the days before caller ID, but I had to imagine it sucked quite a bit. I remember when we got our first caller ID device and you'd have thought my father had won a Cadillac for all the joy he derived from not answering the unwanted calls of all sorts of people, from salesmen to friends and relatives.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He also coached the New Jersey Generals of the USFL and was hired by Trump. The team was pretty good during his tenure, and I never fully understood why another NFL team didn’t rehire him.

RIP

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Somewhere, a long time ago on this site, I think SPNITED gave some insight onto why Walton never coached again. I could be wrong, but your question sparked a memory of mine because that is when I realized I grew up reading SPINTED’s columns.

Draft saved Draft deleted