1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NBA offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 19, 2019.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And Stephen A. and Chris Broussard and others.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They don't even rate to me. Especially Broussard.

JC and TowelWaver like this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Unless the Paul-Harden shit was way worse than anyone realized, and maybe it was, Westbrook seems like an awful fit for the Rockets. Harden and Westbrook both need the ball to be effective, and they're both notorious for just standing around and not moving if they don't have the ball. Paul at least shot 35.8, 38 and 41 percent from 3 the past couple of years. This just seems like a downgrade on the court, except that maybe you get 75 games of Westbrook vs. 60ish of Paul, plus Westbrook's contract is for one more year than Paul's.

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Agree...one of the two is going to have to radically adjust their game to make this work, since Harden is not coming off the bench like he did in OKC, and I have a hard time seeing it happen here.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think Westbrook can adjust his game for Harden. He did it for George, at least to some extent. It seems like as bad a basketball fit as CP3 was, but probably a better personality fit. I think Westbrook is declining faster than Paul, too. The Rockets are pretty much a shitshow being bailed out by having one of the all-time great isolation players.

I have to think Paul gets shuttled over to Miami for Goran Dragic's expiring contract along with Justise Winslow and whoever else they can get. He makes no sense for OKC at this point, and I'm sure everyone involved realizes that.

Tweener likes this.
  6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Westbrook has almost no jump shot and his game will take a dive as his athleticism declines in the coming years, but I think he was much better that Paul last season and he’s three years younger. I’d take Westbrook moving forward, even if he is not as an ideal fit next to Harden.

I think this trade has as much to do with the signs of age CP showed last season as it does with the tension he created with Harden. If CP was still an elite player, I’ll bet Houston would’ve tried to make it work rather than giving away a pair of first rounders.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can just see Billy Donovan now. He's been on a cruise or on a remote island for the last 3 weeks with no cell phone access.....comes back to OKC. "Uh.....hello?......Guys?....."

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Paul is older, but he can still hit a jumper better than Westbrook, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's a better defender either.

9. Tweener

Absolutely right.

As silly as it may sound, in today’s NBA, when defense isn’t held in the high regard of yesteryear, I think having another guy besides Harden who can go out and get 40 is appealing to a team like the Rockets.

Harden is an absurd offensive talent, but a lot of those guys playing with him last year were/are so offensively challenged. I think it’s smart to take some of the pressure off him in that area.

10. Tweener

Tony and Stephen A. suggested today on PTI that if OKC cannot find a taker for CP3’s $124 million contract, they’ll buy him out for around $100 million.

Really? Would a small market team eat $100 million for a guy to not play for it? That sounds absurd, but maybe I’m wrong.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If you gotta pay it anyway and the guy is going be a pain in the ass, might as well save eight million a year

melock likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If he's accurate, why would OKC dump Russ?

Draft saved Draft deleted