1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘Bring a male colleague along’: The controversy between a Mississippi reporter and candidate for gov

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tweener, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

'Bring a male colleague along’: The controversy between a Mississippi reporter and candidate for governor - Poynter

A woman is covering the Mississippi governor’s race and is told that if she wants to shadow a male candidate for a 15-hour workday she’ll need to bring along a male coworker because the candidate has a policy about being alone with women who aren’t friends/family members.

What are your thoughts on what has become a national journalism debate?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd find the nastiest, least hygiened male colleague I could find and go forward.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What a dickless wonder. His wife is probably getting plowed by the Mexican gardener.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dude is grandstanding.

And didn't we settle the issue of locker room access 30 years ago?

5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Given that we now must "BELIEVE WOMEN" even decades later, even in the absence of any supporting evidence, this strikes me as an altogether sensible policy.

That said, the situation could be more easily resolved by simply having another staff member present at all times (not making it incumbent on the reporter to bring a chaperone).

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it behooves him to make sure he provides someone if that is his policy. Otherwise, it’s him who looks bad, whether it’s a sensible policy or not.

SFIND and PaperClip529 like this.
  7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Or, ORRRRRR, he could not rape or sexually assault anyone and have confidence he’s at no more danger of being accused of a crime than he would be with a male reporter, who could just as easily make up something, too, racist or off color if not sexual.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I posted this on the Politics Thread:

The idea that a married man can't be around a woman unchaperoned is an insult to both.

It assumes all men are helpless and untrustworthy, and all women are seductresses.

It's a parody of Christianity - sexist Sharia nonsense.

Empty American evangelical virtue signaling.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ALL CAPS OY

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's always made me wonder how much politicians in some states have to advertise their religiosity. I gather this guy is going for the "most Christian and conservative" vote in Miss. which isn't a bad strategy - Foster is likely to win in any event.

11. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Why do you think teachers try to avoid situations in which they are alone with a child? Why do they always keep the door open in a classroom when there's only one student present?
    Ostensibly, it's a policy in place for the protection of children. But for those 99 percent of teachers who have no plans to abuse kids, it's more about protecting themselves from a false accusation that can destroy a career and a life.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This analogy only sort of works, because the parties involved here both would be adults. That isn't the case with teachers and students.

My first questions to him, as a reporter, of course, would be "Why? What are you planning to do with me?"

He needs to stop pretending he's Billy Graham. (I'd bet anything he first heard of this policy upon Graham's death, when it became widely known and reported that that was what he made a point never to do). From a reporting standpoint, it might even be worth looking into the candidate's past and any previous elections coverage to see if he held any similar policy back then, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted