1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've never done a survey, but I suspect Genesis, the parts of Leviticus they like (ignoring the rest), and anywhere it talks about the patriarch being the unquestionable ruler of all before him.

I honestly got lured into a conversation with a guy once who went to the big Noah's Ark they have in Kentucky. I was being polite and listening to his story until I realized he was talking about the thing like he'd been to the NASA space center in Huntsville.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

most evangelicals couldn’t even tell you how many chapters there are in Leviticus. Nobody’s reading that book.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

5. Driftwood

Ohhhhh, I'd say a lot of their ideas come from about 17-22.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m tracking ya. Your impression of evangelicals is that they’re hung up on OT passages that form their political opinions today.

I’d agree that critics of Christians certainly believe they’re hung up on the OT.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I’ve developed the opinion that political positions influence Scriptural emphasis and interpretations more than Scripture is used as the basis for political position.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Driftwood

I don't know if it's so much political opinions as much as sense of right/wrong and their own superiority.
    We also may have different definitions of evangelical.
    I'm talking about the little church back in the sticks with a 20-member congregation where the preacher is just somebody's grandpa. They broke away from the Baptists because the Baptists were too liberal. Although my father-in-law had a doctorate in divinity and spent his career as a Presbyterian minister, Presbyterians might as well not even go to church the way we act! I'm talking about the types who (until they didn't have a choice) wouldn't shop at a grocery store or eat at a restaurant that sold beer. I'm going to hell because I drink, but when I point out Jesus turned water into wine, the answer I get is: "That's just what they called it back then. It wasn't like that ole' wine they have today." At work a few years ago, at Christmas, everyone was given a lottery ticket. One guy wouldn't touch it because "it's gambling." I told him technically it wasn't gambling because he didn't risk the dollar to buy the ticket. I wound up with two lottery tickets.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes, sadly this is true. On both sides.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Right. RIGHT. It’s what I’ve been bitching about repeatedly. These New Democrats aren’t maniac liberals; they just appear that way after 30 years of the party being nudged right and made into Republican Lite. The current Republican Party is so far right they’ve fallen off the spectrum.

Nancy Pelosi is the textbook definition of a limousine liberal.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe on both sides. 93 times out of 100 you hear it from the right and 7 times from the left. You do hear it from sides, but no where near a balance.

The right quotes the Bible to justify slavery and the left quotes the Bible to love your neighbor. But you’re right, you hear it from sides.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They also fall back on "it's the word of God" excuse. Leviticus is not the word of God. It was a lawbook set down by the Jewish elders. Never once have I heard one of them answer, to anyone's satisfaction, why being gay is a sin but selling your daughter into slavery for being disobedient isn't an accepted practice or belief these days.
    We've evolved since then, from an industrial and a sociological standpoint. We don't enslave people, we don't stone people for failing to observe the Sabbath and we don't stone gay people (at least outside of Saudi Arabia).

Driftwood and cyclingwriter2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.