1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenges of covering summer baseball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Then why do you need a box score? There's no way this stuff should be covered cause of what you said in your post.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Kinda like yer comb.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Smallpotatoes is the one that needed a box score, not me.
    The only reason I cover it for my paper is to generate some easy content in the doldrums of summer.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

My bad. Yeah it's worth covering to go out there and do it as you do it. I got mixed up. Sorry.

Batman likes this.
  5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

You've got the right approach. No one cares about the games, so get features and build relationships.

SP's paper needs to do the same thing. If teams can't be bothered to put together a lineup card, why the hell are you there? And why are you doing a box score?

Plenty of other ways to fill out the thing summer months than a dinky glorified rec league.

Batman likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If you attend a play and they can't even be bothered to produce a program, then the play ain't worth attending. Shit, even my daughter's grammar school spring recitals have programs with lists of names.

7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Heck, I'm helping out a USL-2 team and having the same fun....

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

You're worried about getting names. Heh.

I had years when I couldn't get the Legion (or the Senior Babe Ruth team, or the summer swim team) to send me a schedule.

"Why aren't you covering our games, Apeman?"

Well, no one gave me a schedule, the person on the phone at (the Legion office/the Babe Ruth team's sponsor/what was supposed to be the swim coach's number but turned out wasn't) doesn't know the schedule, and I'm not going to drive by the (ball park/pool) every night just to see if you happen to be (playing/swimming).

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Grew up in a state where high school baseball/softball is played in the summer. Never even heard of Legion Ball or high school spring baseball/softball until later.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Today wasn't bad. Both teams had last names in the book and I was able to get first names for both.

The coach of the team that gave me trouble last week has always been a piece of work. The first time I dealt with him several years ago, the game already started and the lineup wasn't ready. The other team's scorekeeper and I were standing there, waiting and I was saying "This is bullshit" over and over again.

A former co-worker of mine who knows him well just told me the guy has his own way of doing things. He's not going to adapt to the way you think things should be done. You have to adapt to him.

That coach also coaches the local high school team and was the sports editor of a now-defunct newspaper. Others have told me in his role as coach, he was purposefully not helpful to reporters from other papers.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hmmmmmmm. Was that coach also a former member here? Oh wait, he coached softball

Bud_Bundy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted