1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multilevel marketing is a nightmare

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Jul 9, 2019.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think the Egyptians had a name for these types of schemes. Hmmmm, some sort of structure .....

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I will say that Pampered Chef products are the shit and my wife loves Norwex.

But I also see people selling off their bags of shit, like makeup, online saying their done selling the stuff and are just giving up.

It’s a pyramid/ponzi scheme.

I do think Pampered Chef is more legit since you don’t need to buy the product to sell it. They give you a big discount for your own stash if you sell.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Definitely more legit, IMO. My wife has "hosted parties" through a friend who does it, just to get the discounts. We're still regularly using stuff we bought 15 or 20 years ago, and the replacement guarantee is legit. We (I) dropped a stone baking thing a while back and it broke off a small piece on the corner. The friend told us (my wife) to send the small piece back and they replaced the whole thing, no questions asked.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

My wife’s niece sells Plexus. She’s always posting on Facebook about how great she feels and how healthy she is just by drinking this pink gunk.

I got tired of her posts and unfriended her. Wife suggested I needed to re-friend her since she’s family and has kids we need to watch grow up. Blah blah.

BurnsWhenIPee, HanSenSE and Dog8Cats like this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I have a buddy of mine I finally had to unfollow on Facebook because everything was this stupid travel deal thing that I'm too lazy to look up its name. They have those dumb blue retractable signs. Everything was this business. He'd call me to catch up and it be half hour about the travel that he's selling but some how buying for his own trips. I ran into his sister recently and she said she's basically lost touch with him. But a pyramid scheme might be good for him. He's washed out of a few jobs because he put himself in preventable positions that got him fired. Can't get fired from a job that is designed to rip off its employees.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Fuck that. Why do you "need" to watch those kids grow up, and why does it need to be on Facebook?

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Few years back Netflix had a really good documentary on Herbalife. That was the first in-depth look I had ever seen on an MLM company. (The doc is still on Netflix).

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

A good look in to LuLaRoe:

Being a woman in my early 30s, I am now immediately suspicious of any old friends or acquaintances who message me out of the blue.

There's also a podcast "Sounds like MLM but ok" that talks about all of these little "side hustle" scams.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Isn’t Herbalife what Amway rebranded itself as?

My grandparents had an Amway product called degreaser, as in gets rid of grease and grime. Came in a big plastic bottle. That was a good 40 years ago.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Herbalife and Amway are unconnected.

Draft saved Draft deleted