1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Hearing Monday is a big day for public release of new Athletic CFB hires. NFL on Tuesday.

2. Pretty interesting. They already have a decent number of schools covered and a beat writer for every NFL team.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'd love to see the financial books. How will they pay for so many writers to cover college teams?

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I count 29 college football beats highlighted on their website. I bet they add 20 or more. As for NFL, maybe some people left or got asked to leave. Or they're doubling up on some beats (most likely).

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Let's face it, The Athletic is an anomaly. The printed word with little flash and lights and it's a runaway success.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

But is it really a success?
    Really?

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

If it fails, there's going to be hell to pay, considering the number of beat writers who would be looking for work. I think it could fly, although I wouldn't be surprised to see cutbacks/retrenching. They must already have a ton of people -- especially at the higher end of the operation -- they don't really need.

8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Do you have a clue whether, financially, it is a runaway success? I don’t think you do.

JC likes this.
  9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I’m hearing Dan Keattis is joining the Patriots beat

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder how much the Athletic is relying on the web traffic counts to determine who to keep and who to let go. Is there a Mendoza line and if your traffic falls below a certain level out you go?

11. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Most, if not all, of the full-time Athletic employees have contracts that extend as far as four years. At least you can plan a little and not worry about whether traffic count is going to determine your short-term fate.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The metrics are huge. I was kidding some friends from there that I was going to unfollow them on twitter, because all they do is link to each others' stories -- while adding how awesome this piece is. They told me the pressure for clicks determines a lot of futures. Not different than the rest of us, I'd say.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted