1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Tennis thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 10, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Gauff is a great story but IMHO she’s got some holes, those weak spice forehands will get exposed by someone with some power (Kerber, Pliskova) and Gauffs lack of ability to attack weak high balls hurts. Love her coming to net though.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

So if Serena doesn't win, what's the excuse? Four unseeded players and only two players ranked above her, both on the other side of the bracket.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Maybe because she’s 35? and a mom? Give her (and all moms) a break.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She's actually 37.

But has played 66 FEWER matches than Steffi Graf, who retired at age 30.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

For a minute there I thought HeyAbbott had made his way over to this thread.

JC likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Steffi was so great but IMHO she was more fun to watch when she rolled her backhand instead of slicing ( which was a great shot still). Also I thought Seles had her number until the attack.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She was just addicted to that slice, although she could do so much more with the BH.

And I think the slice would have made her a pretty effective opponent against Serena. Vinci (with a tiny fraction of the talent of Steffi) showed how a slice can frustrate Serena.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Problem w slice is its hard to hit passing shots w it. I guess once Graf dominated Martina out no one else came in so she didn’t need to roll it anymore, that is until Seles hit it on the rise and hit winners.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Read the Harper’s piece. Williams’ immediate instincts - hey, maybe I overdid it - were almost surely overrun by the circle of sycophants that surround every elite athlete. (And some of the average ones, too.)

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Joker, Rafa and Fed in the semis. Again.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Andy the slacker...

Draft saved Draft deleted