1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019 Nascar thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Greg Sacks and the R&D team he used to win the Firecracker some years ago were probably applauding somewhere.

It's pretty much the boilerplate ADV story these days. The only interesting wrinkle in recent weeks was re-introducing the Carousel turn at Sonoma, which requires actual driving skill.

maumann likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

All the talk for years about the Car of Tomorrow was annoying. That and moving out of a NASCAR-friendly region contributed to killing my interest level.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'd love to see some new back to the roots series race the traditional circuit. Keep the cost low for teams and fans. Teenagers rolling up with million dollar rigs paid for by daddy need not apply.

The one track I've never seen a race at and really hate I haven't is Rockingham. I think it's still up and running, hosting various races from time to time (unlike Wilkesboro). I go through there on 74 all the time. Maybe some day.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Any such series would quickly be taken over by teenagers rolling up in million-dollar rigs paid for by Daddy. That market is kind of saturated right now anyway, between ARCA, the K&N series and the zombie corpse of what used to be USAR Hooter’s Cup.

Rockingham has been bought by a developer who wants to turn it into a concert and festival destination that happens to have a motorsports facility built in. I’m not certain there are any racing events planned this year, but I could be wrong.

5. Driftwood

That's a shame.

6. Driftwood

I go back deep enough in the sport to have actually watched guys who were honest to goodness bootleggers and lintheads through the week race on the track on Sunday.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wait, what's a linthead?

8. Sam Mills 51

Not sure it's worth it anymore.

With all due respect to the Parsons family - I know Keith is out there somewhere, probably Phil, too - the track's time has passed. I hope Benny was gone before he had a chance to see how far Rockingham fell in NASCAR's food chain.

Went with my stepfather - an interesting character because he really liked classical music and stock-car racing - one year when it was the race right after the Daytona 500. It was a little chilly, especially for the Sandhills in February. He almost froze and bought a souvenir sweatshirt not strictly because he liked Bill Elliott - though we both did - but because he was going to literally freeze.

I was fine. Probably when I realized my thermostat was broken. Never have fixed it.

The loudest cheer? When Ironhead's vehicle broke and he took an unscheduled trip to the pits. I was among those who cheered.

We might have been the only two in our section that didn't seriously drawl or twang. But a lot of fun was had.

maumann and Driftwood like this.
  9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

A worker in a cotton mill. By the end of the shift, the lint was so that it would cover their hair. Must’ve done a number on their lungs, and was finished off by Marlboros.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

BuschwideCableCompany Series crew chief Nick Harrison (Kaulig Racing), who died July 21, died of “acute cocaine, oxycodone and alcohol toxication,” according to the medical examiner.

Pockrass said on Twitter that Harrison also had an enlarged heart and a history of sleep apnea, although the medical examiner didn’t list them as part of COD.

Report: Xfinity crew chief Nick Harrison's death an accident caused by cocaine, opioids, alcohol

(Also, the search function is broken again.)

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Also, we went two months between posts on the NASCAR thread. What does that tell you?

12. Sam Mills 51

That, somehow, Kyle and Kurt Busch didn't embarrass themselves with the wrong headlines. See also: Brian France.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted