1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bert Rechicar . 56 yards.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Correct. Dempsey just obliterated the old record.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Dempsey's kick is still amazing. At sea level and outdoors, in heavy air. Gano's and Aker's 63-yarders are equal. Anything in Denver just isn't the same.

Only one old-fashioned straight-on kicker has one of 60 yards. Who is he?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Steve Cox

Kinda a precursor to today’s punter/kickoff/long FG guys.

Another unique stat: With the exception of a one-year retirement, temporary injury replacements, Cox attempts, etc. the Browns had just three regular kickers from 1946-89 in Lou Groza, Don Cockroft and Matt Bahr.

5. micropolitan guy

Who was the second MLB pitcher to undergo Tommy John surgery?

Who was the second MLB pitcher to undergo Tommy John surgery and pitch in the majors again?

6. cyclingwriter2

This is an interesting one. Was it Bruce Sutter? (Likely to late, but I kind of remember it being a big deal when he came back in Atlanta.)

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I know Cotton Candiotti was one of the first ones.......

8. micropolitan guy

Candiotti is the answer to No. 2.

9. micropolitan guy

Answer to No. 1 is Brent Strom. Great pitcher at USC who had a middling MLB career, never made it back after being injured and is now pitching coach for the Astros. He went 2-10 with Cleveland in 1973 but I saw one of his wins, he had a no-no against Milwaukee for 6.2 innings and would up with a four-hit complete game.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

At the beginning of “Big,” before Josh Baskin turns into Tom Hanks, he is in the schoolyard pitching stickball to his best friend and he imagines he is this Yankees pitcher. Hint: he ain’t an all time great or even someone Yankee fans would remember that fondly.

And yes, I am re-watching the film right now, with my daughter. She loves it.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. cyclingwriter2

Rick Rhoden.

No idea why i remember that.

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well holy shit. If I didn’t trust your board bonafides, I’d say you’re trafficking in Google searches. Much respect.

Man those Yankee teams sucked. In 1987, the year that probably inspired the Rhoden nod, they finished 4th in the AL East, and Rhoden led the staff with a 16-10 record.

Draft saved Draft deleted