1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

First thought, asleep at the wheel. But why? Which I think is what you're asking anyway.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

An update:

Pro Football Hall of Fame will likely have 20 inductees in 2020 class
    By Jake Russell
    The Washington Post

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is close to approving a proposal that would allow 20 inductees into its hallowed halls in 2020 as part of the NFL's 100th anniversary celebration.

On Aug. 2, the hall's 29 board of trustees are expected to discuss and vote on a proposal that would expand the number of inductees for the coming year. There is a "high likelihood" that the proposal will be approved, Pro Football Hall of Fame President and CEO David Baker said in a phone interview with The Washington Post on Friday.

Baker previously discussed the proposal on SiriusXM radio earlier this week. To move forward, the measure would need the approval of at least 15 trustees.

Twenty inductees would be a one-time occurrence, limited to the 2020 Hall of Fame class, Baker said. Hall of Fame bylaws currently indicate that four to eight candidates are selected each year, and Baker said he likes that figure.

"As [former Pro Football Hall of Fame executive director and historian] Joe Horrigan says, 'It's not the hall of very, very good. It's the Hall of Fame,' " Baker said. "And it should be difficult to make it into the Hall of Fame."

The proposed breakdown of 2020 honorees would likely feature 10 senior nominees, five modern-era players, three contributors and two coaches. While nothing is finalized, Baker said the 2020 festivities would include the Hall of Fame Game on July 30, a gold jacket dinner on July 31, one enshrinement ceremony on Aug. 1, and then another enshrinement ceremony around the league's 100th birthday on Sept. 17.

With seven to eight members are typically inducted each year, the length of the speeches given by both the presenters and inductees has recently become of a topic of discussion. Baker says this new proposal will give the Hall of Fame a chance to tinker with how the ceremony will be presented.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yeah, surrrrre ...

5. Della9250

You can't go bigger than the eight they do now....it already is too long because a lot of them go well over the time limit given.

If they want to do something special for the 100 year anniversary, especially with regards to the senior selections, I think that works -- particularly if several of them are posthumously inducted.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea that there will be reserved slots for coaches and contributors (owners), I'd prefer that the 20 come from those through circumstance or quirk have been overlooked, or whose contributions have proven to be a lot more crucial to the league over the years. Someone like Karras had a good career, but I'd say his subsequent acting career did a lot for the league encouraging other players to try it and advancing the image of the league. I'm trying to think of a former major league baseball player who had a significant acting career, NBA too for that matter.

7. Della9250

Under the proposal, there would be 12 extra slots in the class.

There will be the usual five players from the finalist group, the two senior player nominees and the one contributor slot.

For this class they would be adding eight senior players, two contributors and two coaches.

Anyone who is a senior candidate has been overlooked. Some would say contributors have too. The coaches spot I don't think is necessary, but if one of them goes to Don Coryell then it is worth it. I think after him there isn't any coach that isn't in that is eligible to be in, but if they come up with one other guy I don't think that is going overboard.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This thing does kind of smell like they already know who is getting in, or at least that the idea was engineered to get someone specific in (like Tagliabue). Surprised how many of the trustees are corporate types with no apparent connection to the NFL.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

His TV career, too
    He probably had the greatest line in MNF history
    “Otis Sistrunk. He’s from the University of Mars.”

10. Thank god this is the last month before a kickoff.
    Sick to death of soccer, world's strongest man, skateboarding, beach volleyball, Yankees v. Red Sox, and non-major golf on every weekend.
    Football can NOT come soon enough!

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is the NFL going to an 8 inch flag or 10 inch flag for their flag football league this year?
    Since every play is subject to review is there finally going to be an appeal system to overturn bad reviews? All appeals will be heard by the 2nd Circuit for 1:00 games and 9th Circuit Court of Appeals for the late games. Thursday, Sunday and Monday will be heard by the DC Circuit. This way we can watch 1 game for 5 hours.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I love football, but actively rooting for summer to be over is not a sentiment I could ever share.

Draft saved Draft deleted