1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

"Siri, remind me in one year to check in on Sirius Radio."

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Golfswing13

Golfswing13 New Member

This might not be specific to the Athletic per se, but the case arose with them.

A reporter works for a news outlet and starts reporting an enterprise piece. The reporter does not finish the piece, for reasons of scheduling mainly and also difficulty reaching some of the people.

He then leaves for The Athletic. A year later, he publishes a piece on the same subject, including some material gathered while working for the other outlet.

Fair or foul?

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Uh oh, where’s Reddy?

Christopher Price announces he’s leaving BSJ the day before July 4. The timing to me suggests something

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If I had to guess, it’s to Patriots.com/Patriots Football Weekly to replace Andy Hart.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I have to think you're going to see a bunch of college football beats being added by The Athletic.

6. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Austin Meek of Eugene Register-Guard said on a Portland radio show Friday that he's leaving to cover Michigan for The Athletic.

7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

We had this happen at our shop a few months ago. A reporter began working on a story and then took a job at another publication in the region, where she finished the story months later.

Co-workers considered it foul. I’m indifferent. I don’t know enough of the details. Maybe our editors decided they weren’t interested in the story. Who knows.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is OK. The reporter never finished the story at her/his previous job. Besides who cares about the previous company? I can't think of one newspaper that is currently treating its reporters fairly (working 70, paid for 40, etc; always on the clock; no overtime on holidays, etc). So it was bad timing for the first organization as if it cared it had the story or not. The reporter did nothing wrong is fredrick's conclusion.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This assumes the reporter wouldn’t be able to access those facts and sources again. Unless the first outlet paid for public records — even then, I think the reporter would be in the clear if s/he reimbursed the former employer — it’s totally fair.

10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Depends on if there is a non-compete clause. But regardless, fuck em. No reason to be loyal to a paper that’s probably gonna lay you off in a year but will probably still tweet about how much more click-bait comment they’re putting out than the local Athletic affiliate

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I agree. If it was the reporter's sole project, not getting any help from a staff member that's still there, I wouldn't have any beefs. A lot of reporters leave jobs with stories deep in their notebooks in various stages that are fair game at the next stop.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Finally subscribed today. Got in for the first year at $14.31, which is about the price of one beer with tip at The Veil anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted