1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What, me worry? RIP Mad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think Mad's humor definitely hits everybody in a certain sweet spot in regards to age. If you find it when you're between 10 and 14 you'll probably laugh your ass off and it'll leave an impression. If you pick up a recent issue at age 40 (or even age 20 if you're not totally baked), it probably seems incredibly stupid and juvenile. Hell, by the time I was old enough to drive I thought it was kind of stupid.
    FWIW, I'm glad I did find it when I was in that 10-14 age range.

maumann, Doc Holliday and Slacker like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly - some comedians and comedic writers should make it a comic "literary magazine" heavily supported with donations like the Paris Review and others - just to have a place that fosters and welcomes new and younger comedic writers. Is there another place outside of TV, or movies where a non-performer can get paid for writing comedy?

3. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

You mean "the lighter side" of the fence.

maumann and Doc Holliday like this.
  4. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I could swear I've already read this in MAD letters.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I got into Mad because my oldest sister, by 9 years, was into it. I remember enjoying it but aging out and/or finding the magazine going downhill. Did it kind of racy and gross for a time in the late 1980's.

Thinking back after this news, I can remember the different features like Spy v. Spy, movie parodies, and a section of comic strips in the middle(?). But unfortunately, I can remember only one joke and it is very simple and cheap. A guy walks by a LeCar with a flat and goes back to post a sign with an arrow pointing to the flat tire that read 'LeFlat.'

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This. This exactly. This has always been my impression. I found the magazine in grade school and still found it stupid, kinda gross and basically juvenile. It just didn't suit my personality.

maumann and Batman like this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

My uncle had a stash of old MAD magazines that I enjoyed in the 80s, and then I found his •other• stash later. [insertrabbitearsemojihere]

X-Hack and Batman like this.
  9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Uh oh. I'm afraid you enjoyed those more than anyone really wants to hear about.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Flip Wilson likes this.
  11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I got into MAD at a young age because my dad always picked it up at the drug store. I doubt that I understood many of the parodies when I first started reading it but like others have stated, I would ask my parents about them and that helped me learn not only about their work but current events in general. I eventually moved onto The National Lampoon in high school and when that was done I always enjoyed SPY. One of my favorite SPY bits was when they would try to make reservations in exclusive NYC spots under different celebrity names in order to see which ones actually had the most cred. I used that bit on a radio show I had during The PGA event in Wisconsin. I called on air and tried to make reservations under different players names at peak times in the best spots in the area and Milwaukee. Tiger had no problem but Vijay and Ernie didn't get as much love.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I just received a Groupon inviting me to subscribe to Mad Magazine. $5 for six bimonthly issues!

Draft saved Draft deleted