1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Youngstown Vindicator

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Sure you can get around them through an extension or tooling around with Web Inspector, yes?

2. Preacher Roe

Preacher Roe New Member

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

This is a depressing line in that story: But in the latest earnings call in May for GateHouse’s parent, New Media Investment Group Inc., Chief Executive Michael Reed said the company planned to focus on integrating publications it has already acquired and closing or selling underperforming papers.
    My guess is they'll close before they sell.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Gotta love hedge funds.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I think when they close the Youngstown paper and the doors are all shuttered, etc., that's when the current reporters and others who work there should buy the property, including the presses and put out their own nonprofit paper. You'd think a staff of 3 or 4 people could keep a newspaper running as a nonprofit and still make a living.

RonClements likes this.
  6. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Maybe a news web site would work but not a physical newspaper. And I doubt one could make a living under a nonprofit operation. The Inky is still cutting reporter jobs after it converted to the nonprofit model.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that Gatehouse, which owns more papers than anyone in the country and Youngstown have similar problems. They have not had the financial, editorial, technical and managerial talent to develop good websites at their smaller
    websites. The bigger papers in their regions have websites that provide better regional and national editorial product. While I am sure that the local paper such as Youngstown probably still has superior local content the larger regional paper provides a competitor for both subscription and advertising dollars.

Gatehouse, for example, gets 12% of its revenue from electronic. Gatehouse is also seeing revenue decline about seven percent a year. So as print dollars disappear they are not being replaced by electronic revenues. The smaller paper bleeds to death. Youngstown is privately held so I don't know their numbers but the economic pressures are the same as Gatehouse.

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Considering Gatehouse forces its papers to use the same vanilla layout, has cut video and photography staff at newspapers across the country, and has an overall miserable online experience for consumers, I'm utterly shocked - SHOCKED, I TELL YOU! - that the chain isn't doing well digitally.

2muchcoffeeman and Fredrick like this.
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But isn't the same also true of virtually every small paper in the country?

10. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Most papers have retained a small photo staff. Most Gatehouse papers have not.

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

The daily (under 10,000 circulation) where I work part time hasn't had a full-time photographer in years, maybe at least a decade. We have several very good freelancers and stringers, and the reporters often take their own when possible, but no full-timers.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted