1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Running Tennis thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 10, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Too bad, I liked Osaka's game, her story, and her general vibe. Two straight majors is tremendous. I only hope she doesn't repeat Capriati's two major wins and then a flameout.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Can I get a show of hands as to who objects to calling one win at one of the big four is a "Slam"? Hate that. Its a major title, that's it.

Vombatus and heyabbott like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Looking at the highlights of Williams' loss on the WWL and the grass on the baselines looks worn down already.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Every hospital in Great Britain is on alert. Serena is tied 1-1 in the 3rd set. Win or lose she will need medical attention. If you can help please cal 1-800 EXCUSE1

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Kyrios v Nadal was compelling; Kyrios is maddening, so much talent, tin head. Still fun though.

heyabbott likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Everett and company are rooting so openly and hard for Coco Gauff you’d think Anne Frank was playing Magdaléna Goebbels

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Really good third set

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I don't watch a lot of tennis, so don't know Gauff's backstory, but, damn, she's got a lot of poise.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Men's bracket: The top 3 seeds are left: Joker, Federer and Nadal. Only other left in top 10 is 8 (Nishikori). Next highest seed is 15.

Women's bracket: Six of the final 16 are unseeded.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Actually I found Evert praising Hercog quite a bit; just that she folded like a cheap tent and Coco found her way. Really amazing turnaround. I turned it off yesterday thinking Coco lost.

11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. And watching, I felt that, too. Hercog seems to have a lot of game, but every big point, seemed to have a big error, and Evert hit on it.

That said, Gauff really did have great composure. Played some great defensive tennis at times and hung in there. I don't know Hercog at all, but wonder if there's a prevailing notion that she gets tight in big moments.

Also, Evert and Fowler let on that people in the game have been hinting Gauff might be the next big thing coming. I hope she's great. Watching the post-match coverage of all the spectators coming up to her parents for photos felt real and heartwarming.

qtlaw likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure. She’s arrived.

Draft saved Draft deleted