1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I knew Sports Info didn't pay well, but this is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had an editor once say that we should imagine that someone from another planet came here and was reading our paper for the first time.

To which a reporter replied that if the alien could figure out how to come to Earth from another planet, surely they would be able to find out what the initials of the local team meant.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In Murfreesboro (population about 110,000), where probably every single person has had his or her life touched by MTSU (enrollment about 22,000; employs about 2,300) in some way? Seems like it’d be pointing out the obvious.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I do get it completely. I always was taught to write it out on first reference. But style is different at every shop.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was also taught not to begin a story with a proper name, but that appears to be out of the window here, too.

It took three words to break two rules. Outstanding!

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Totally agree. And since the Internet allows posts from newspapers and TV stations to be read almost anywhere, the home page should always pinpoint, somewhere in the banner at the top, the location of the source. Who the f*ck knows where WWTF is located? "Covering the Tri-County area since 1904" ain't much help, either.

justgladtobehere and Pilot like this.
  6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Oh, this is a pet peeve. So many newspaper sites don’t get it. Sorry, but I don’t know what “The Herald” I’m reading when I follow a link on Twitter. And you’re right, they always follow up with a hugely vague geographic identifier. “The only news that matters in the upper valley region” or some such shit.

Big Circus and justgladtobehere like this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

A pet peeve here for 20 years now.
    But nobody ever seems to evolve there.

Draft saved Draft deleted