1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movie cameo appearance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jun 19, 2019.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Those are just bit roles. They're not cameos. Nobody knows who he is. You have to be famous to have a cameo.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Holy shit. He had a starring role alongside young, mega-hot Jennifer Connolly in “ Career Opportunities.” That makes him s star in my book.

Batman and Liut like this.
  3. bigpern23

He's a "that guy," not a star who occasionally takes a bit role to make a cameo.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Frank Whalley was also Robby Krieger in The Doors. He was pretty famous back in the day. Or was to my thinking. Not A-list but certainly a name

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

David Bowie as the fashion judge in Zoolander was pretty funny just for the faces he makes while scoring points.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Whalley seemed to be a guy directors were crazy about (Ollie Stone especially) but the audience just didn't respond to.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Tara Reid in The Big Lebowski.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Swimming with Sharks would be the first thing that made him noticeable. I remember recognizing him in Pulp Fiction because of Swimming with Sharks, but Wikipedia states they came out weeks apart.

9. bigpern23

I mostly remember him from Field of Dreams, Pulp Fiction and The Freshman, but he never really played more than minor roles.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

If Whalley did nothing else besides this, I'd say he had a successful career.

career opp.jpeg

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He was also Arvid in Swing Kids, with Christian Bale and Robert Sean Leonard. His career has obviously never risen to Bale's level, but he's arguably on par name-wise -- and recogntion-wise -- with Leonard. Except, ya know, Whaley has some boss-level cameos on his resume...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

*Whaley

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted