1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A sports name you long mispronounced

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jun 13, 2019.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Losing the N.C. short tracks (especially The Rock), the gradual disappearance of drivers with N.C. roots (particularly when Richard Petty retired), and the death of Gerald Martin definitely all played huge factors in what Cary-ed NASCAR to the Apex (!) of its popularity in the Triangle. Back in the 1990s, even my wife knew which drivers drove which cars, based on their photos on products in Food Lion or Harris Teeter.

When we moved there, I was totally blindsided by the fact that Raleigh-Durham is the common reference, but the two towns couldn't be less similar. I know many folks in Wake County who have never set foot in Durham or Orange -- and just as many who've never been east of RDU. I had the unique position of interacting professionally with extremely bitter rivals Wolff and Steve Bryant, owner of the Mudcats and staunch Wolfpack alum (I made the mistake of wearing a light blue sweater to a Mudcats game only ONCE, and took it off in the first inning). They'd always ask me how the other was doing.

If there's a commonality now, I credit three things: Research Triangle Park, I-440 and the Hurricanes.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone mention Jim Thome or Garth Iorg yet?

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

As I mentioned upthread, that is generally the wheelhouse of news anchors, often female.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Is Iorg pronounced like Mulliniks?

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I was at a breakfast this morning and they spoke about a fundraiser for an ill firefighter where a Golden State Warriors jersey would be raffled that was signed by "Steven" Curry.

Is that Steph and Seth's brother?

And as an aside, I just Googled Curry and learned his full name is Wardell Stephen Curry II.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What about Chone Figgins?

CD Boogie likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Not dead on but for about 40 yrs I thought the Expos cap had “ELB” on it not “M”.

jlee and HanSenSE like this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My guess was "ello"

qtlaw likes this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

FWIW, Nguyen is the most common last name in Arlington, Texas.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought it said "elb" as well, then realized it was an M, then realized it "stood for" Expos Baseball within the the M - see also the Canadiens sweaters.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Put me down for ELB as well. And while we’re at, I never got the TC on the Twins hats until...wait for it...I read it on this board years ago.

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Mike Hunt.

Watch out, folks:
    That one is dangerous.

Draft saved Draft deleted