1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movie cameo appearance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jun 19, 2019.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Okay, weigh in on the best 1-5 minute cameo appearance in a movie by a notable actor or actress.
    Rules: It must the only scene they're in and must have been known by the time they appeared in that movie. Plus, supply a notable one-liner from the appearance.

My picks:

Alec Baldwin, the salesman in Glengarry Glen Ross (I think most would agree this is the gold standard)
    "Coffee is for closers."

Wilford Brimley, the U.S. attorney in Absence of Malice
    "You call this a leak ... boy, the last time there was a leak this big Noah built hisself a boat."

Tony Shalhoub, the Cuban developer in Primary Colors
    "He's going down. This is America. You can bank on it."

Wenders likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Matt Damon in Deadpool 2.
    "ARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!"

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Cruise in Magnolia; or Cruise in Tropic Thunder

Love Baldwin in Glengarry though.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not a movie, but Jimmy Fallon showing up as a jeep driver in the "Bastogne" episode of "Band of Brothers" was memorable. I remember thinking, "Is that Jimmy Fallon? WTF?"

Batman likes this.
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

That was Brad Pitt.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dammit. I denounce myself.

Scout likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Billy Crystal - The Princess Bride
    "To blathe,"

Dana Carvey, Billy Crystal - This is Spinal Tap
    "Mime is money."

I'm honestly having trouble thinking of them. I know there are hundreds.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

But Damon has been in two Marvel movies and Deadpool 2 was one of them.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’m gonna push back on the Baldwin cameo, because, while yes his seen is short and powerful, it also helps drive the movies main plot. I would say it is likely the most memorable scene in the movie.

To me, a cameo has to be along the lines of unexpected, unannounced and not just another cameo. The last is key since some movies are built on how many stars they can wedge in there to get some laughs/buzz.

For example, John Wayne as a centurion in “greatest story ever told” is cool as anything, but it’s a movie based on having superstars in small parts. Another is John Houseman as the drivers ed teacher in the naked gun. It’s hilarious, but that movie is about sticking people into funny scenes.

So, if I had to choose, I would go with Gene Hackman in Young Frankenstein with, “i was going to make espresso.”

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reggie Jackson in Naked Gun.

“I must kill the Queen.”

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Cam Neely as Sea Bass in Me, Myself & Irene.

“Charlie, nicely done!”

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't think Cruise in Magnolia meets the definition. He was in multiple scenes and he had that story about his father who was being treated by Hoffman. (Am I right?)

The Tropic Thunder underscores the difference between stunt cameos and ones that are just having a well known actor in a minor role. So much of Cruise in Tropic Thunder was 'he's Tom Cruise' and 'he is under this ridiculous makeup.' The casting of a star changed the perception of the role, which I think is a big thing.

What about movies like 'JFK'?

Draft saved Draft deleted