1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just finished "Until Proven Innocent," the 2007 book about the Duke lacrosse case. As a former reporter it was awful to read just how far in the tank the media went against those players, and now as a university employee it was even more remarkable to read about the professors and administrators who were out to vaporize the entire lacrosse team at any cost -- and even long past when the three in question were proven innocent. Extremely well-reported book.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I remember that story vividly. I can only imagine how the event would play out on social media if it happened in 2019.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I picked this up last year and am finally going to settle down and read it on my vacation.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Outstanding book I began on vacation last week: Steven Ross' "Hitler in Los Angeles: How Jews Foiled Nazi Plots Against Hollywood and America." I'd never heard of Leon Lewis, the Jewish lawyer and WWI veteran turned spymaster who's the focus of this tale, but the amount of Nazi and fascist activity in SoCal in the '30s he and his amateur spies exposed was mind-boggling (aided by the government's and law enforcement's relentless focus on communists and the lax LA port security that enabled stormtroopers to move into town every day). Plots to disarm National Guard installations, take over federal departments, murder movie stars...amazing.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I heard a very positive review for James Ellroy's new book, This Storm, yesterday. Do you know if his novel has this aspect of WWII LA in it?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Just started reading my first John Dos Passos book, 42nd Parallel. It’s beautiful.

7. The Old Man and The Boy ... It's old book, written the 50s by Robert Ruark.
    If you had a grandfather or dad who taught how to hunt and fish, and provided general lessons in growing up, I highly recommend it.
    It's a short, simple read.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

On the recommendations of a few people here, I just read "Beartown" and "Us Against You," two books written in sequel by Fredrik Backman.

Both books were good, and got better as they went along. There was great character development and growth through the story(ies), and both were good reads that I wasn't going to leave unfinished. Story-wise, my only problem was that I kept reading Beantown every time I saw the word Beartown -- seriously, almost every time!

My only critique would be that both were a bit too unnecessarily long, taking too much time to get where they wanted to go. With each book, by the time I was done with it, I was glad, and ready for it to end.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Groucho was not a happy man, and he had no idea how to have a healthy relationship with a woman, whether it was his wives, daughters, girlfriends or co-workers. So as funny as the Marx Brothers films were (and are), this was not a funny book. I'm glad I read it. It was well-reported, though the author could have toned down the high-falutin language at time.

Joe Bob says check it out, but don't expect a Marx Brothers laugh-a-palooza.

Liut likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Reading "The Club," which centers around a group of friends -- Samuel Johnson, James Boswell, David Garrick, Adam Smith, Edmund Burke and Sir Joshua Reynolds -- who met each Friday for years, to drink, eat, hold court, and who ended up being the leading figures in their respective disciplines in late 18th century England. Pretty damn fascinating how all these guys came into contact, fostered relationships and had varying degrees of success, fame and wealth. Johnson, for one, was basically indigent until the king gave him a yearly pension when he was quite old.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of that one, CD, but sounds like a fun one to check out.

Reading and enjoying The Infernal Library by Daniel Kalder. Subtitle: On Dictators, the Books they wrote, and other catastrophes of Literacy. The books of Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Castro, etc. Quite entertaining and informative but also has this great line early on:

"I was struck by the fact that many dictators begin their careers as writers, which probably goes a long way toward explaining their megalomaniac conviction in the awesome significance of their own thoughts.... A deep study of dictators' works might enable me to map devastating wastelands of the spirit while also exploring the terrible things that happen when you put writers in charge."

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is this accurate? Were they writers or political theorists who wrote books espousing their beliefs? A big difference for the theory put forth in the last sentence of the quotation.

Draft saved Draft deleted