1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Golovkin - Rolls tickets for tonight on StubHub?

$24.

$24 US dollars at Madison Square Garden.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Where does GGG go if he wins? I'm not eager to see a third fight with Canelo. I thought he won the first fight, didn't get the decision. I saw the second fight was much more clearly a draw, he lost the decision. I get that he's feeling sort of like Marquez felt against Pac but Marquez finally caught Pac in careless and at a point in his career where he was a little chinny. Canelo ain't close to there yet.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How many times did LaMotta fight Robinson?

I'd be happy to watch a few more Golovkin vs Alvarez fights.

4. nafselon

Robinson also fought every two weeks so between his second and third fight with LaMotta he fought about 20 other guys.

GGG should beat Canelo to the punch for real and move up to 168. Get a 168 belt for a third fight. Canelo has talked about facing Callum Smith anyway so he'll move up. At 160 he's got one option. Canelo has about 10 because he'll move up and down in weight to collect titles. Hell he's talked about fighting Kovalev (doubtful).

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's a great idea.

Would Callum Smith take a fight with Golovkin?

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Not the original poster but I think Smith would. He's looking for a big fight and a money opportunity. Both he and GGG are associated with DAZN. I agree with the idea of GGG moving to 168. Canelo doesn't really have to give him a third fight and if he doesn't, what are GGG's other options at 160. Move up, get a title win, if you win there's plenty of opportunities. I think 168 is going to be the money weight class by the end of the year. Good top guys and some pretty good second-tier gatekeepers at that weight. Plus you have 175 guys that would move down. If you're a 160, anything from 160-175 should be on the table.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I heard something about a potential fight between Callum Smith and Billy Joe Saunders.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Golovkin looked pretty good at 164.

9. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yeah he did. Good fight. Now I think he really should be going after Callum Smith at 168.

Here's the deal, my opinion on it: Canelo is a very good fighter, he also loves to stack the deck when it comes to weight cutting and limits on weigh ins. He knows he's still a smaller 160 compared to the natural ones so he'll do something like what he did to Danny Jacobs and force him to be at 170 or under the day after the weigh in when Jacobs is usually north of 175. Jacobs decided not to change his hydration schedule too much and paid a few hundred thousand dollars when he weighed 173 the next day.

When GGG fought Canelo the first two times, he had the titles, he basically said we're fighting under the unified 160 rules, no funny shit.

Now Canelo has the titles, GGG has zero leverage. Canelo can fuck with the weight restrictions anyway he wants. GGG is already an old fighter and now he's an old fighter the has to jump through hoops to make certain weights.

In a perfect world, GGG will smarten up and try to get that 168 belt. Canelo can fight the winner of Andrade-Sulecki in September. GGG can fight Smith in October and they can fight in 2020.

10. nafselon

I thought GGG looked good considering a new corner. Probably took a couple more punches than he wanted to but he looked more like the old destructive GGG albeit against soft competition.

Still don't need to see a third Canelo-GGG fight right now. We might. Luckily Oscar de la Hoya has no real control over Canelo's fights anymore since DAZN is cutting such a massive check. He didn't want Canelo to fight Jacobs and John Skipper made the fight anyway.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Anyone catch Tyson Fury's fight?

He looked pretty sharp.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fury looked fine. At least he knows how to box. And in the not-so-great-age of gigantic heavyweights, that may be enough.

That Tom Schwarz went into the fight 24 - 0 is a reminder "undefeated" records don't mean much.

As was Anthony Joshua.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted