1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Best job in the country.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That is so highly edited. Here's the main video. There is another, shorter, from another angle. This was *really* bad.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can tell you this latest case has been frustrating as hell to cover.

The guy who brought this to the media on behalf of the family is a felon with a history of community activism for sale that immediately puts anything he touches into question. (His felony: he ran for mayor and announced that he had seen video of the incumbent mayor molesting a young boy. He tried to drag out the investigation through the election. He eventually had to admit that he made the whole thing up.)

Supposedly the video starts 5 to 10 minutes after the incident started, with no clear explanation of why it escalated the way it did.

The guy you see getting arrested has a loooooong record, including violence against police.

Obviously, none of that means police are in the right here. Much of what is seen on the video clearly seems abusive and excessive. Still, it all makes this a giant pain in the ass to report on fairly.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Your post is incredibly truthful and balanced and fair. I imagine you are doing a great job reporting it.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Given how recent the incident is, the reports that the family is suing for ten million made me wonder about the players
    As you said, even if the people involved are sketchy, the police conduct was over the line. Thanks for filling in some details.

10. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  11. Just the facts ma am

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  12. Just the facts ma am

^
    Idle speculation on my part.

If the cop (Costco) was non-white, his name would have been released by now.

If the mentally impaired man who was killed and his elderly parents who were critically wounded were black and/or hispanic, there would be protesters in the streets by now and rightfully so.

The family was of South Asian ethnicity.

Draft saved Draft deleted