1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Ken Burns documentary on Country Music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

misterbc likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not that I'm complaining, but the series seems to end in the mid-90s (also probably has a lot to do with music clearance issues).

3. Neutral Corner

When the question is "why didn't they...", the answer is usually "money".

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Noticed that.
    No Garth, no Alan Jackson, no Toby Keith.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Ken Burns does not need to waste his time on this earth documenting the music of Garth Brooks and Toby fucking Keith.

Inky_Wretch, BadgerBeer and misterbc like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Be interesting if someone asked him about it. There is good new legit Country, but there is also a lot of bro-country and pop country. My guess is that he wanted a purer strain.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

My guess is that there will be a Part 2.

8. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

I’m a Boomer raised on rock ‘n roll but I was blown away by the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville while there four years ago. I heard C&W on the MOR stations of the time since that is what my folks listened to but after the HOF tour I started researching it and discovered its great history. Can’t wait for the sound track and especially the Ken Burns treatment, will be landmark.

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

I don't think that Burns has ever done a sequel. He's done films and then another on a related subject, but that's as close as he's come.

Edit: Incorrect. He came back and did "The Tenth Inning", returning to "Baseball" sixteen years later to examine the game's ongoing popularity, as well as his film on Jackie Robinson.

The Films - Ken Burns

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Western Music?

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Everything changed when Shania Twain put out a Mutt Lange-produced country song that sounded like Def Leppard.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the baseball add-on, though I couldn’t remember exactly how it worked.

Draft saved Draft deleted