1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life of Reilly: The rise, fall and rise again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jun 12, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I guess I just don't see SportsCenter as such an inherently white enterprise as you do.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Talk about naive. Tell ya what, I'm gonna hire a new producer for the View and he's gonna replace the entire cast with old white dudes. We'll see how well the viewership holds up.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

No, I don't. But I'm not the one suggesting there was an agenda. You have no evidence to support that other than your own thoughts that they didn't fit, which came through hindsight. Maybe you thought it at the time. But you don't know what discussions were had behind the scenes to lead to them placing Hill and Smith together. You make assumptions that fit the conclusion you've drawn, and then you declare there was an agenda. Unless someone who had access to the conversations at ESPN at the time has said there was one, you have no evidence other than suppositions.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

SC ratings are back up with an Indian-American and a black woman as the anchors. ESPN has been trumpeting it. Guess they didn't need those white anchors, huh?

5. CD Boogie

You probably aren't very good at syllogisms.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm great. Just don't like to assume facts not in evidence.

7. CD Boogie

Yeah, I don't think I've heard them calling Donald Trump a racist, either.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

But, wait, that didn't happen until months after they were named anchors. And you said it wasn't hindsight that made you think they weren't a good fit. You knew it all along. But now it's justified by stuff that happened half a year after they were hired. But it wasn't hindsight. Not at all.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Listen, bro, I get it. You read some stuff on 4chan or Reddit or wherever about how the SJWs took over ESPN. It resonated with you. Probably for reasons you don't like to think about. We get it. Doesn't make your assumptions right. Just makes them feel right to you.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, one can write that many words. It’s just hard for it to be good. Trouble is, any longform is almost always deemed degrees of good. The effort alone garners a B or whatever.

Now, I’d argue some of that is postmodernism at play, as in “oh, well, it’s my truth, so it’s the truth, so instead of a real ending I’m just gonna essay my way through the last 1,000 words.”

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's both, ideally. Deeply reported and beautifully written.

By percentage, I don't think there's more bad work being done than in any age before. 98% of all writing is not great, and exists in service of the 2% that is great. Pretty much the ratio forever.

I think the bottomless nature of the internet page is a problem for young writers. Too tempting to go long. But so is the way your copy looks on a computer screen - it seems polished even when it's not. Typewriters were better a learning tool for failing your way through a manuscript.

Also, it's much easier to find bad work than it used to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted