1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Thinking the same thing. Next season they may not be a playoff team if KD and Klay re-sign and are out most of the year.

I think they have to offer KD the super max, though I think it could also be a bad move. He’s done so much for that organization in such a short amount of time that it would really be a terrible look if they didn’t even make him an offer. Particularly after he severely hurt himself trying to save their ass. And I think how they end up handling that is really important moving forward.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

After tonight, agreed. I can see the max deal for Thompson over Durant, mostly because he's home grown. No way they can do it for both. I think Cousins may be elsewhere too. He came in as a midlevel exception, IIRC.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Can they give Durant, say, $34 million, to buy out and rip up the old contract? That way they can pay a healthy player next season?

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I mean, people come back from ACLs all the time. Offering Klay a no-brainer. KD is less so, but you’re gonna do it for the upside and the fact it would look just hideous after sending him out there. Boogie can get a small raise (15-20 percent?), so he probably leaves, unless he wants a year to come in, play better at full health and build value, though that would take him into his age 30 season.

If they all leave, the Warriors are at $28.5 million with which to work assuming Igudala doesn’t retire or something. Without those three returning, the only one worth bringing back is Looney.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine all of those people who have locked up ticket commitments to the new Warriors arena are probably having a bad morning.

Tweener likes this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I always understood John MacLeod as the genius behind that timeout.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can see KD and Kyrie in a Knicks uniform.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

016DE571-0E1E-438F-81D9-D6EA938B95F9.jpeg

Chef2 likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That would be great. Thin skinned, small minded, drama queens Live on 32nd Street, 41 times a year. Not One but Two preening peacocks.

Chef2 likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you're ever on the fence about deleting your Twitter app and never going back, look no further than how Bayless has almost 2.9 million followers.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Stories I've heard or seen were always Westphal but maybe there's been some that said it was John.

Here's story from few years ago that credits Westphal.

‘What the hell did I just do?’: The 1976 Celtics, the Suns, and the greatest game ever played | Boston.com

And the original SI story does the same.

CALL THEM CHAMPS AGAIN

There's something I didn't know in that boston.com story.

And for that Celtics fans thanks Powers by attacking him later on. Nice. I can remember one other time when a team tried calling a timeout and it could d have led to a T. Game 1 ending of '91 Finals. Jordan misses jumper in final seconds, Lakers grab the board and A.C. Green calls timeout. But Scott had been fouled; probably was a second before the attempted timeout so good call. Not that it ultimately affected the series.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm kind of curious about the part I bolded here. Is there a study out there that shows that players usually come back healthy and hit their previous performance level? I found this one via The Google, and their list of 90+ players who have had the injury... Its not great if you look at their careers five years later. The guys who had the "best" careers were big guys who didn't move that much to begin with (David West, Nene). The rest of the list is marginal players and the "Man he was something before that injury!" all-stars like Rose, Shaun Livingston, etc.

With Klay and Durant, it seems like less of a concern. If they come back at 70 to 80 percent of their established levels, that's still an all-star level player that you'd normally max. But man, that list isn't great.

Draft saved Draft deleted