1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race -- All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Agree with all the comments about the unneeded drama. The drama should be the race, really don’t care who likes who.

Switzerland was cool but the detours and roadblocks were a bit weak. Not a lot of skill or perseverance needed.

2. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

At the end when Phil announced it was a non-elimination so Nicole & Victor were still in the race, the look of disappointment on the Reilly sisters faces was priceless!

3. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Happy to see the Reilly sisters eliminated tonight!

I wish to NEVER see Rachel on my TV screen again.

Let's hope her "15 minutes of fame" is over for good.

Iron_chet and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Interesting Detour and U-Turn set-up tonight. Also kinda cackled at Colin reminiscing about his cow issues in Season 5. I knew once they were U-Turned, there was no way Rachel and Elissa would get through the hay challenge before Colin. Also, they would most certainly have lost, because they would have been penalized for leaving their clue behind at the cow Detour.

My guys were so close to winning! They are growing on me. I'm actually shocked, with how actively I rooted against Colin and Christie in season 5, how much I like them this time around. He's super zen and it's weirding me out. They're now like the the super nice oddly buff parents.

Four more eps. No more non-elimination legs. Other teams better start stepping up if they want to take @TigerVols out of first place.

Pool update:
    TigerVols - Tyler and Korey (TAR) - 81
    Iron_Chet - Colin and Christie (TAR) - 67
    WCIBN - Becca and Floyd (TAR) - 65
    WolvEagle - Leo and Jamal (TAR) - 58
    MTM - Nicole and Victor (Big Brother) - 45
    Wenders - Chris and Bret (Survivor) - 36
    *bumpy mcgee - Rachel and Elissa (TAR/Big Brother) - 28
    *Huggy - Janelle and Britney (Big Brother) - 21
    *WriteThinking - Corinne and Eliza (Survivor) - 14
    *Rupert and Laura (Survivor) - 3
    *Art & JJ (TAR) - 1

*Team has been eliminated

TigerVols likes this.
  5. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Agree 100%. I so wanted to see them eliminated. Now maybe the producers will focus on the racing and less on the drama as the teams work their way to Detroit. One thing I've noticed: Does it seem like the cameramen are in more shots this year?

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Was wondering if I was the only one thinking that on cameramen in the shots. Maybe they always have been and I’ve never noticed but rewound a couple times when I saw them chasing a team.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I've always been amazed at how cameramen have rarely shown up in shots, especially since there is at least one per team. But yeah, they have been more noticeable this season.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've always liked Korey and Tyler, and I've been impressed that they're pretty much competing just straight up, and letting the chips fall where they may.

They had kind of a smart, non-confrontational approach to the U-turn vote by just going with the previous leg's last-place team. Leaves no cause for ill will or any challenge, and doesn't force any up-front admission of whom they'd like to see gone, competitively speaking.

Colin and Christie are the ones to watch, though. That was so impressive -- doing a double U-turn, and still winding up third.

9. Wenders

I thought the U-Turn vote was interesting. I noticed how everyone who voted for Victor/Nicole and Colin/Christie pretty much apologized at some point during the leg and they hugged it out.

10. WriteThinking

What happened for Nicole and Victor with the stand-by flight had to be one of the greatest strokes of luck ever experienced by a team in The Amazing Race.

Flying stand-by can leave you sitting in an airport all day while you wait for a cancellation/open seat. Such sheer good fortune for Victor and Nicole, and I was glad to see that they got that, and appreciated it. I hate to think it and to be cynical, but I hope it all wasn't staged/manipulated just for TV. They should've been all but DOA in Split, Croatia.

I also thought Chris and Brett should've stuck with the treasure-hunt detour. They stopped literally right in the middle of it after having found some of the trinkets.

11. Wenders

The one that seems the most suspect as Producer Interference was Season 7. Uchenna and Joyce somehow got a plane to COME BACK TO THE GATE after nearly starting to taxi, equalizing them with Boston Rob and Amber.

Stand-by can either screw you or win you. I'm Team No One when it comes to the line at the ticket agent. There were two agents.

My guys were so dumb. You were like, 3/4ths there and you gave up?? Although it seemed like they had been at the detour for 3 hours and found four things, so maybe it was worse than it seemed?

Croatia seemed beautiful and I kinda wanted to be on the beach. Also was shocked at the number of teams that were totally about working together at the Road Block. (Except Floyd, who beasted that thing. #drummajorskills)

Pool update:
    TigerVols - Tyler and Korey (TAR) - 97
    Iron_Chet - Colin and Christie (TAR) - 70
    WCIBN - Becca and Floyd (TAR) - 69
    WolvEagle - Leo and Jamal (TAR) - 60
    MTM - Nicole and Victor (Big Brother) - 50
    *Wenders - Chris and Bret (Survivor) - 37
    *bumpy mcgee - Rachel and Elissa (TAR/Big Brother) - 28
    *Huggy - Janelle and Britney (Big Brother) - 21
    *WriteThinking - Corinne and Eliza (Survivor) - 14
    *Rupert and Laura (Survivor) - 3
    *Art & JJ (TAR) - 1

*Team has been eliminated

12. WriteThinking

No kidding. Typically, at airports, if you miss a plane, you've missed the plane. Too bad.

And regarding Chris and Bret, again, no kidding. I couldn't believe they changed detours when it seemed like they were close to completing it, and did better than anyone else, with the one they started on. They may have been there a while, but it wasn't like (seemingly) the other teams were getting away from that water-tube/reading one too quickly or easily, either. It must have just felt like it was too long a time to be spending. But I think I would've stuck with the treasure hunt and kept looking. Other than the frustration of not finding the coins, it seemed the easier task, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted