1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Are You Here.

Had potential but didn't deliver. Crummy third act.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's coming soon.

Redrum.

heyabbott, HC and bigpern23 like this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize King wrote a sequel to "The Shining." Movie looks good. I'm wondering if I should ruin it for myself by picking up the book, or just enjoy the film when it comes out.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know about that.

5. Neutral Corner

I have not read the book, but I doubt that King would release a poor sequel to "The Shining". As to the movie, the preview looks interesting, but the track record for film adaptations is spotty. For every "It" or "The Shining", there's a "Dark Tower" or "Graveyard Shift".

Severian likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Speaking of robots. Just saw this: eerie, intense.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Charlie Wilson’s War is one of the great small movies of all time

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Godzilla: King of the Monsters.
    A big, steaming pile of "meh." Not enough human drama or smashy-smashy monster fights to carry the film either way. I could've gone for an hour-long, all-out brawl with a dozen or so kaiju and didn't quite get it.
    Also, there were enough plot holes to drive a speeding Humvee through. Like the actual speeding Humvee that somehow is able to navigate quickly to its destination in Boston, even though there was a mass evacuation, mass panic, every building in the city is destroyed and there are no landmarks to figure out where they were. It also happened to be the one street in a devastated city with no rubble in the right of way.
    Or the fact that we're supposed to think it's a happy ending, but dozens of major cities across the world are utterly destroyed and millions -- perhaps billions -- of people are dead. It's not something the world will recover from in a year or two.
    Similarly, one of the big villains does a face turn and it's supposed to be a redemption moment, yet they're the one responsible for setting all of these events in motion. Even if they didn't die, they ought to be tried and executed for crimes against humanity.

It wasn't a bad time at the movies. It just wasn't a very good movie. I liked the vibe of the 2014 film, where Godzilla was a mysterious force of nature who was going to wreck your day even if he's on your side. This one was just batshit crazy, and not necessarily in a good way.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, King's novellas make very good/great movies - Shawshank, Stand By Me, The Green Mile, for instance - while his longer novels have struggled to make the leap to the big screen. It, Misery, Carrie and The Shining are notable exceptions.

My wife hates horror movies. "Signs" scared the shit out of her and she hasn't really watched much horror since ("Get Out" is about the only one I can think of). She saw this trailer and wants to see the original "The Shining," and then go see this in the theater. I give it until the end of the interview scene in "The Shining" before she abandons her newfound bravery. :)

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Shining is hilarious and strange.

12. Neutral Corner

I can't decide if this looks fun or if I just saw all the good parts.

I'm leaning toward the latter.

Draft saved Draft deleted