1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oberlin College has to fork over $44 mill to family bakery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 13, 2019.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Market awarded $44M in racism dispute with Oberlin College
    I read another report that said the family that owned the bakery bent over backwards to try to settle. They only wanted their reputation back. I guess the Oberlin administration never thought a local jury would side against them. Message to college leaders: stop letting the student-snowflakes run the asylum.

heyabbott likes this.
  2. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

Crazy stupid.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I think the lesson was let the run the asylum, just don’t touch it in any way. The evidence of admin involvement was part of the crux of the loss.

(There’s also a free speech element, but it seems the university followed a legal strategy that simply pissed off jurors)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

That's a lot of dough.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

zing!

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If this were solely a case of snowflakes, it’d be one thing.

It was a kid trying to buy wine with a fake ID, getting called out on it, an owner’s grandson trying to take his picture to report to authorities, the kid slapping the phone away, running out and tossing two shoplifted bottles of wine, getting caught by the grandson, trying to get away, two nearby students kicking the hell out of the owner’s grandson, then those students, plus a couple more, lying/fabricating about all of it.

It wasn’t snowflake behavior. It’s the kind of thing budding fascists might do.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

More recently, news articles quoted students decrying the school dining hall’s sushi and Vietnamese banh mi sandwiches as cultural appropriation.

They have taken no position on spaghetti and meatballs, however.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

What about Taco Tuesday?

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And then the school administration doubling and tripling down on the whole mess, even after the perps spilled the beans. Even the quote from the school's lawyer smacks of "we've learned absolutely nothing about changing our behavior, but we'll continue to teach outrage and over-reaction as our core curriculum."

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This is the shit that turns potential allies into foes. I'm practically a Communist, and I hate the fucking Left sometimes.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I expect the uproar about sushi and Vietnamese banh mi sandwiches being "cultural appropriation" would disappear if they were forced to eat bologna sandwiches with mayo and Velveeta on Wonder Bread, a staple of white culture.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Wonder if the amount of the awards are subject to appeal.

Draft saved Draft deleted