1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 College Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 27, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Who in the Midwest/Northeast deserved to host a regional this season, though?
    West Virginia hosted.
    There were a couple of Missouri Valley Conference teams hovering around the mid-20s in RPI. Creighton was right there with them, which might have presented a weird situation of playing a regional in TD Ameritrade Park. Illinois and UConn were next, both in the low 20s.
    RPI is not the be all, end all in that discussion, but did those teams have good enough seasons to justify leapfrogging them over a dozen teams that had better seasons?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Looks like the split is going to be 4-2 in favor of the SEC.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Insane inning ends with a baserunning goof. I was wondering if they could bat around twice.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Miami wasn't in the ACC when it won those titles. So the ACC can't take credit for them, just as the Pac-12 can't take credit for titles won by Arizona and ASU before they joined the Pac-8 to create the Pac-10, and the Big Ten can't take credit for Nebraska's CWS appearances.

The Big Ten and ACC have won an equal number of NCAA baseball titles in the past 60 years. One each.

I just laugh when I see shows highlighting Alex Smith or some other pre-Pac-12 Utah/Colorado player as "conference stars" or some such nonsense on the Pac-12 Network. They were not even Pac-8/10/12 players. Alex Smith is a nothingburger in Pac-8/10/12 conference history.

I thought UCLA would make it, its poor hitting and very favorable schedule (very few games outside of California, and many of those against lower-division Pac-12 teams). But the deck was kind of stacked against the West; only nine teams, four of them in the typical "let's eliminate California" regional and only three playing at home.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also how many college football teams claimed wins over a B1G school when Rutgers joined the conference.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Those are all facts. I’m not particularly bothered by current conference alignment being factored into these discussions, be it Miami or the Arizona schools.

The ACC was a 7 and 8 team league for most of the Big Ten’s glory years. Powerhouses like Miami, FSU and Georgia Tech weren’t in the league yet.

maumann likes this.
  7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Something interesting about the CWS participants: six of eight have never won a title ... and Michigan’s two were 50+ years ago.

That’s the fewest since 2014 when Texas was the only champ. Participants Vanderbilt and Virginia went on to win titles.

maumann and Batman like this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A lot of them still are. Now it's just more legitimate.

9. micropolitan guy

Mariners' AA manager Mitch Canham hired at Oregon State. Two-time national champion at OSU, coach of the year at several minor-league levels in 3+ years with the Mariners. Good choice, from the family but coming in from outside for a fresh perspective.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I understand him taking that job, but that seems to be an unusual move, from minor-league manager to college coach. Not knowing a whole lot of college baseball history, has that happened very much?

11. micropolitan guy

Not sure. But he'll probably make 3-4 times the money (minors pay is crap, even managers, etc., no guarantee he'd ever be an MLB manager) and he gets out of a crappy organization.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Longtime minor league managers aren't really at the top of the list of GMs anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted