1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Hope he posted that after he came back here.

Which leads to an interesting scenario. Suppose a wrestler went off script at those shows and started talking about equality and Saudi Arabia’s crappy human rights record? How do the Saudis react? Do we end up with a legitimate international incident, like the Saudis refusing to let either the wrestler or the entire company leave?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't know that it would reach that point, but there would certainly be consequences. Since the whole point of the WWE's deal with the Saudis is to make the country look good in exchange for an insane amount of money, a promo like that would obviously jeopardize the arrangement. As such, it wouldn't be a shock to see the wrestler fired immediately (and justifiably so; no matter what you think of the issue they'd have cost the company millions of dollars).
    It'd also cause a stir in U.S.-Saudi relations. Again, whatever you think of the country they are a valuable and stable ally in a volatile part of the world. In the grand scheme of things it'd be like a foreign pop star coming over here and stopping their concert to issue a diatribe about the current president.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

The scenario about a foreign pop star going off on the president probably happen on a nightly basis, or least when Morrissey is on a U.S. tour, and no one particularly cares or reports about it, which is the way it should be. But of the reason of why some people find the WWE's Saudi deal so objectionable is that they seem like they would care about it, in the worst way possible (see torture and murder of critical journalist).

4. Baron Scicluna

What he said.

5. Baron Scicluna

I don’t know about the firing. It would depend on who the wrestler is. Curt Hawkins? He gone. Brock Lesnar or Roman Reigns? Maybe not.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Like Vader in Kuwait, I guess. I’d be more worried about some kinda secret police reprisal. Then again its gonna be pretty visible if anyone hurts a wwe star. American and Irish govs couldnt let that slide right? Sadly the bigger the celeb the more protected.... well, good for Finn, sad for the everyday Joe over there who cant speak out. Good on Finn for lending em a voice.

7. Baron Scicluna

43 minutes in on Raw, and we’ve had two talk segments, a squash match, and we’re starting a third talk segment with Miz and Joe.

And the E wonders why ratings are down the tubes.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Another episode immediately deleted from my DVR without watching. Might be time to permanently remove it from the schedule, along with my network subscription.

AEW can't get here soon enough.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The fact I can get NXT off Hulu has me on the verge of cancelling my network subscription, too. Why pay for it if I have no desire to see the big shows on it? I've got three Raws now and tonight will be four Smackdowns on my DVR that I haven't touched.

10. Baron Scicluna

Smackdown isn’t a bad show, and some weeks are down-right entertaining.

Raw is just dreck. Someone needs to tell Vince he doesn’t have to start every show with a 20-minute promo.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I dont know if Ill ever get rid of the network, but shit is not appointment viewing right now. Some days I forget to avoid spoilers on Monday and Tuesday nights and still dont run across any because no ones talking about the product

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

That's one of the advantages of Hulu: Raw gets cut down, but I think they have most if not all of Smackdown.

I just watched this week's Raw last night, and the bad part was that if you cut out some of the crap promos, the matches were actually pretty good. The ends aren't always the best ("the monster" Samoa Joe running off with the belt; KO and Zayn being turned into whipping boys again), but overall they aren't bad. The tag title match, the six-man and KO-Rollins were all good. The women's stuff would be a lot better if they would figure out Lacey Evans sucks in the ring. They've got enough talent in the division without her.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted