1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

there

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Elaine Chao received a large inheritance from that family wealth in 2007.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

their their, don't be upset

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

your rabid homophonia is becoming a problem

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

it's my they'reapy

Fred siegle and garrow like this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They do. And they’re wrong. It isn’t. Fox News cynically pretends it is for ratings and its own aim, and my opinion of FNC is pretty well known.

It doesn’t change that, on the matter of illegal/undocumented immigration, cans have been kicked down the road for years without any thought to Americans it affected or the well-being of refugee women, for example, doing nails for cheap. IMO, American elites collectively shrug - as do, quite often, journalists - because they see the issue through the lens of their enlightened piety. So long as they get into their top schools and pursue their lucrative careers and build legacies with well-considered marriages and families, what’s a few million illegal immigrants depressing the blue collar wage market? Or eating into public school budgets with ESL staffing?

Americans feel slighted. Forgotten. Ignored. Uncool. And the reasons for that are more varied than immigration - and I'd even agree that immigration is a card Trump/Bannon cynically played. It is indeed an old story, the lower classes pitted against each other for the benefit of the very wealthy. Trump is every bit the false political messiah. That's been clear since before he was president. The question isn't only how he won the general election, though. It's how he won the primary - how he won it with surprising ease. There's an undercurrent of shame and anger that I'm still not sure coastal journalists quite understand.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Actually, my question is directly responsive. Because, short of open borders, your neat words only apply up to the point where you say "enough." Short of open borders, your platitudes about our greatness reaches its terminal, at which point someone could just as easily write those words to you.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Much of it is "gifts" to McConnell from Chao's Chinese shipping magnate family, not her own money. Corruption. IIRC he got something on the order of ten million dollars from them in one chunk. He married Chao in 1993.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.