1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

England shitting the bed in the extra time of the the Nations League semi-final. It's not coming home, even for a new trophy.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

LOL John Stones. Remember when he cost 48M pounds?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Went to Target today. There was a four-way with all sorts of US soccer stuff on it, so I thought about getting my kiddo a jersey. That’s when I saw they were all Mia Hamm jerseys.

She retired before my daughter was born. Not a single player currently on the USWNT was represented.

4. Webster

USA just abusing Thailand. 7-0 in the 60th and could have been worse.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It is getting worse.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Alex Morgan might score her sixth and seventh goals of the day on her way to the bus.

13-0, U.S.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That's fucking horrible.

8. Webster

If you are going to incentivize goal difference, not sure what you can do. Maybe a rule that anything above 6 goals is a plus 6 GD.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Maybe have a 16-team World Cup until you can field 24 decent teams?

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So many nincompoops out there comparing USWNT's output today with the USMNT's output the last few seasons. This was like the Patriots playing a high school team.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is like the progress of women's basketball in the US. Some of the countries in this World Cup probably didn't allow women to play soccer 15 years ago. Complete mismatches are the price of progress in international sports, men's or women's. See Dream Team v. Angola 1992.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Precisely what I compared it to today. Women's soccer is deeper than it's ever been internationally, but it's still probably only 8-10 teams deep when it comes to truly competitive sides.

Draft saved Draft deleted