1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Coaching Situation: "Tough" Coaching or Verbal Abuse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, May 30, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Was this the first time anyone spoke to him about this?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Did anyone confirm the resignation offer in writing? Email? Confirm it then take it. That's what everyone wanted right?

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Interesting turn of events. Returning players overwhelmingly supportive.

Varsity coach resigns from the role. Sophomore coach elevated to varsity HC.

Varsity coach will drop to run sophomore team and will assistant varsity (he was longtime sophomore coach before taking varsity job 3 years ago). Will NOT run practices.

He acknowledged the pressure got to him on the negativity in a letter to the captains but still wants to remain a part of the program.

Captains took it to the team. Everyone but one player approved. Both coaches went to the AD and did the switch.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's... kind of amazing.

Good for them.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Great to get it resolved peacefully and it kinda makes you wonder if all the drama was worth it.

6. exmediahack

It clearly was.

The coach knew what was happening with this particular crew, that he had lost them. Ten of 11 starters are coming back for the best team the program has had in seven years.

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good work by those captains. Clearly the coach was wise enough, too, to know he was the wrong fit for HC.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So no one spoke to him the whole time? Just after the season ended?

9. exmediahack

Just learned over the weekend when running into another parent at the grocery store that the coach had also used racially derogative language when talking loudly at one of the captains (who is of Asian descent) in front of the whole team.

Apparently, the two captains, at urging of the team, almost went to the AD two days before the state tournament but decided not to because... it was two days from the state tournament.

The coach’s sudden ease of stepping away from the varsity team may be a result of this, from what I gather.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

But no one spoke to him to let him know he was going off the rails? It was after the fact?

From what I remember, this was a good coach who went nutso once it looked like a state title was on the line?

I hate to say it, and hindsight can be perfect, but captains are made captains to speak for the team and to represent the team. That's what the C is for. Maybe a little more upfront communication could have solved this?

I'm not saying it's the kids' fault at all, but if it were to replay, I'm thinking there would be a different outcome if everyone communicated a little more.

exmediahack likes this.
  11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Bzzzt! Nope. If his personal problems are that intense, he needs to step away, period. This isn't about him. Those kids are not his therapy.

...aaand with that, he needs to be shown the door.

Draft saved Draft deleted