1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's next, the USS Fredericksburg? The USS Cold Harbor?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jun 8, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I saw in the news today the US Navy ship involved in the close call with the Russians was the USS Chancellorsville. Unbelievable that a US ship would be named after one of the Federals worst defeats in the Civil War.

I hope they don't let sailors from North Carolina man the guns. They'd shoot at their own guys.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The ship was commissioned in Mississippi. ‘Nuff said.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There have already been submarines named for Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee.

Since decommissioned.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Surprised it took until 2011 for a ship to be designated for LBJ - he was IN the Navy during WWII (granted his Silver Star is bogus and he was little more than a tourist during the war) - I guess a destroyer is about right for the guy responsible for Vietnam.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

You may not want to visit some of our army bases then, including AP Hill, Hood, Benning, Gordon, Lee and Bragg. There are others, but to tired to look for the rest. All in the South, obviously. I want to say all started as war camps, which were typically named by the locals/stated leaders, and no one thought about changing when they became permanent military bases.

6. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

A good first step towards racial reconciliation would be to rename all these confederate bases, ships, schools, and other monuments. But of course most whites prefer supremacy over reconciliation.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The USS William Jefferson Clinton will be a cigar boat.

Just the facts ma am and Batman like this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It was well within Lincoln's power to order Lee and his senior generals put on trial for treason after their surrender. Then summarily shot. It was an armed rebellion within our borders, the biggest sustained act of domestic terrorism in our history and responsible for the deaths of boys and men on both sides. Lee and the southern leaders who orchestrated secession were traitors. That anything is named for any of them is beyond me. And it's not wiping away history to pull down the statues and change the names. That's what books and musuens are for.

Fred siegle likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would like to think there was as much enthusiasm for reparations - whatever form they would take - as there was for reconciliation following the Civil War.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Why is the United States Navy naming ships after LOSERS? Shouldn't they name them after WINNERS?

Draft saved Draft deleted