1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minor leaguer getting major threats for breaking up no-no with a bush league play

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jun 7, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

https://nypost.com/2019/06/07/yankees-minor-leaguer-matt-lipka-getting-death-threats-over-bunt/

Count me among the people who dislike trying to break up no-hitters with a bunt. Yeah, I know it's part of the game and that my reaction is visceral and not rational when I see this happen. But still.

Oh, but it doesn't bother me enough that I'd ever condone this type of behavior. Really, threatening a guy for doing this in a minor league game is pathetic.

2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

A "witch hunt"?

[​IMG]

All in jest.

CD Boogie likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Hah, Fixed.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It was also a combined no-hit bid. The Yard Goats are acting like they had Sandy Koufax on the mound.

John B. Foster likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Breaking the unwritten rules, yeah, that's bad. But death threats? In the minors?

I'm hoping this is just some yahoo tweeting from a burner account while wearing a MAGA hat. But in the aftermath of Game 3 (Stevens-Lowry and Lacob's wife-Beyonce), I'm more convinced we're gonna have another Monica Seles incident one of these days.

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I don't really like what he did but his team was down 3-0 not 7-0. One more base runner and the tying run is at the plate. If it was 1-0 would it be better?

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Can one of the unwritten rules people define for me when it becomes bad?

I mean, we can all agree that a bunt with no outs in the top of the first is okay, right?
    And the unwritten people don't like a bunt with 26 outs.

So where is the line of demarcation, where a bunt becomes a bad thing?

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Agree totally. A collaborative no-hitter isn't the same thing as a complete-game no-no. Therefore, the silly-assed rule about not bunting to break one up doesn't count.
    And, fuck your unwritten rules baseball.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Define "major threats." Is it death threats, or "I'm going to find your hoopty and sugar your gas tank" threats?

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

*witch bunt*

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Defense was in the shift, right?

Play the last inning straight up if you don’t want a bunt.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

10-4 on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted