1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When Emma made a true Daily Double, Alex made a reference to James and Emma gave him the biggest WTF look in the world.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

32-time winner>>3-time winner

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

She wrested the mantle from The Boardslayer and will not suffer the mention of his name, let alone direct comparisons.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

People looking at his wagering as something suspicious (it wasn't) are looking in the wrong place.

If he wanted to take a dive, all he had to do was be slow on the buzzer. Emma got two Daily Doubles --- you get Daily Doubles by controlling the board. Why did his "expert buzzer technique" fail him and allow Emma to ring in first so many times?

The only stat I'm curious about --- and I'm sure it's out there --- is how many times he won the buzzer battle in the game he lost vs. how many times he typically won it.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The other question is, why would he throw in the towel?

He was getting self-conscious or feeling bad for the competition?

He didn't want to win more money?

The show thought viewers were getting bored with him, decided it needed some fresh blood as a champion, and asked him to tank?

I don't think for a moment that that happened. But, given that it's television, where many things are staged/regulated, it would probably be the most plausible explanation (if he, in fact, did throw in the towel), particularly if he had already surpassed Ken Jennings' record.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

This is the best thing to happen to Jeopardy in at least a decade and one of the best things ever. If anything, I'd expect the show to cheat for him, not to try to get rid of him. They'll soon enough find a reason to put him up against Jennings and another champ and that too will be "must DVR" television.

8. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Gambling debts??

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't know how to estimate any of this. I watch almost daily but am not an all-out geek, so I don't know how my perception compares to the general public. In the last few years there have been a lot of interesting players for the Jeopardy geeks. Arthur Chu was big news, the last group they had at that fantasy-team tournament had some popular or divisive champions.
    From my perspective, it seems Jeopardy was fine, but James makes the news like nobody since Ken.

Interesting that news of both Ken and James losses were leaked.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

We play in an online trivia league (let's just say it follows Rule #1 of Fight Club), whose players include Ken Jennings, Dan Okrent, Anna Quindlen, Mick Mulvaney, and many Jeopardy alumni. The way she heard it, Holzie accused another player of cheating (the league involves daily individual matches and is played on the honor system), and when the league commissioner denied his claim, he rage-quit. Just one of the reasons why he, unlike Jennings, is strongly disliked in the Jeopardy online community,

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Or maybe the woman who did her master's thesis on the game show was just fast enough to beat him on the buzzer?

Suggesting James threw the game is discounting Emma's skill, a suggestion that looks more foolish the more she wins (she won again today).

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

They do an annual Tournament of Champions, so James will be back for that at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted