1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you have read. For DC, Identity Crisis is good. I know some people hate it, but I've always liked the series.

For Marvel, Fatal Attractions, Age of Apocalypse and the Messiah Trilogy are among the ones I'd read again. As you can see, the X-Men were my gateway drug to superhero comics.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

My God. My thanks to you is inversely proportional to my future productivity.

Batman likes this.
  3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

yeah...what he said.

Batman likes this.
  4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Dammit, Batman, how am I going to get any work done now?

Batman likes this.
  5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

As for stuff to read, assuming you didn't read a lot around Knightfall or since, on top of what oop suggested, Marvel's Civil War, House of M and Age of Apocalypse are a few more. I dug Operation Galactic Storm in the Avengers back in the '90s as well. Avengers Disassembled is good, too. The follow-up stuff to House of M -- Decimation -- is good, too. And of course Infinity War. The other Infinity crossovers from the '90s (Infinity War and Infinity Crusade) don't live up to that one, which is one of the greatest comic storylines of all time.

For Batman, Hush and the Court of Owls stuff in the early New 52 series are great, as is the Long Halloween. Death of the Family (which was just after Court of Owls, if I remember right) was also pretty good.

You can Google any of those storylines with "reading order" to get the issues to hit.

6. outofplace

It is so dangerous for me to have all that reading material available.

Batman likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good suggestions, and some that I never read for one reason or another. Age of Apocalypse came out right about the time I was heading off to college and I was fizzling out a bit on comics. I read parts of Civil War but not all, and got into comics a little after Infinity War and never read it. I remember some of the Infinity Crusade crossovers because I was into Silver Surfer for a bit, but have no idea what the whole story was about. Evil twins maybe?

Those Batman stories are all ones I need to read, too. I read Hush "live" when it came out, but not the rest of those.

And, yeah, that site is pretty awesome. They don't have every issue, and you might have to search on there for certain ones -- Knightfall, for example, was collected as a trade but they don't have the individual issues -- but from what I can tell the depth of what they do have is amazing. That I was able to go back and read those 300 issues of a relatively minor series like G.I. Joe speaks volumes about what they do have.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Let's just say I've had some 20-minute bathroom breaks at work that have nothing to do with what I ate for lunch that day.

DanielSimpsonDay and JRoyal like this.
  9. outofplace

A little something for the sci-fi/fantasy fans of my generation.

The ending we never got, just 34 years late.

(Yeah, I know it's a commercial, but we take what we can get.)

JRoyal and spikechiquet like this.
  10. outofplace

I managed to stay off it at work and only spent about 45 minutes reading comics online last night. I consider that a minor victory of willpower. :)

Batman likes this.
  11. outofplace

Perhaps somebody better at navigating the internet can find and post this. There is a short, fan-created comic strip by a guy named John Grosjean. It is set in the MCU and has Peter Parker opening "one last gift" from Tony Stark. It is a pair of glasses like the ones seen in Civil War and one of the trailers for Spider-Man: Far From Home. It has an artificial intelligence embedded and when Peter begins to interact with it, the response is "Hey, kid."

I don't think they are going to do this in the MCU, mostly because I think Robert Downey, Jr. is ready to move on, but there is some history of an A.I. based on Stark in the comics. He created it for Riri Williams (Ironheart), then it continued to operate while Stark was incapacitated after Civil War II.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted