1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite decade for movies?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember watching Rebel in one of my high school classes. We couldn’t figure out what was so cool about it. We were like, “oh, he’s yelling at his parents. Big whoop.”

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Worked on my college paper with him. Good dude.

CD Boogie likes this.
  3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

For comedies, it has to be the 80s:

Airplane
    Caddyshack
    Stripes
    Ghostbusters
    This is Spinal Tap
    Vacation
    Trading Places
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Sixteen Candles
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    Raising Arizona
    Naked Gun

Chef2 and John B. Foster like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'd go with the 70s. The 90s were pretty solid, too.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The 70s were great for a few reasons - the Hayes Code was history, filmmakers had a free hand to explore issues that hadn't been seen in the movies before. Further - movies relied on storytelling rather than special effects and stunts were all very real - no CGI.

6. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

The 1970s changed how movies were made, how we watched them and who watched them. This was the era of the independent filmmaker working outside the studios and finding success. This is was the first black directors really got the opportunity to tell their stories about their experiences. This is when you saw the first Asian actors find movie exposure (ok, it was in “karate” flicks, but still it was a start.) It was when you started to see women in roles that weren’t just as damsels in distress, shrews or sex objects. Of course, millennial film critics rip this era for not being “woke” without realizing this was the era that helped push for “wokeness.”

Alma and John B. Foster like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

70s

You can’t make a lot of those movies today.

8. DanOregon

Realized I've never seen All That Jazz - that will be corrected. And how did I miss the guy playing Roy Schieder/Joe Gideon in the All That Jazz scenes in Fosse/Verdon was Lin Manuel-Miranda?
    Roy Schieder was so good, but he had the misfortune of appearing in films where other actors won Oscars.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Tootsie
    Beverly Hills Cop
    A Fish Called Wanda

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The bad part about 1970s movies was a lot of those films are sloooowwww. They used their newfound creative freedom to master the art of 60-second establishing shots of a car pulling up to a house and somebody walking inside.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. DanOregon

I actually watched Heaven's Gate (at least one version of it) and yeah, it had too many strands and scenes that were overly elaborate for what they contributed to the final product. But I also think '70s movies showed that you could have scenes with minimal dialogue that really worked.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

80's movies kicked ass.

justgladtobehere likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted