1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bakersfield Californian sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jun 3, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'll give the family credit. They held on to the paper longer than most chicken bleep family owners who sold 3 to 5 to 10 years ago. The same families who build the newspaper business into a goldmine ultimately ruined it. Kind of a microcosm of the planet maybe if the environmentalists are correct. We built the planet into an amazing place; and it's possible we will cause it's erosion into extinction.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The buyers are Sound Mews Media. Who are they?

The sellers are going to keep the real estate at 1707 Eye. Does the Californian print at that location? Will the new owners need to find somewhere to print?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Looks like they're a Canadian company that has two other papers in California.

Bakersfield Californian sold to Canadian newspaper exec

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Buck Owens, ya'll.

6. zewing

zewing Member

This has been rumored to be happening for several years now; in fact, at one time a sale was rumored to have been agreed upon, but it apparently fell through at the last minute.

Many of the paper’s longtime editors and reporters left of their own accord (as well as some other longtime employees) during that period of instability (there was also a newsroom leadership change that contributed), though there are still some talented, wonderful folks working there. Hopefully they’ll be OK after the transition.

The paper moved out of the 1707 Eye building downtown within the last year and moved to the north Bakersfield location that also houses the press.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Isn’t that David Black’s company?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've googled the new owner and what is odd is about the only mention is in other news release stories that read the same as Bakersfield - longtime family daily sells to Canadian publisher.... sounds like there have been previous acquistions in Lodi and Antelope Valley to make a cluster somewhat feasible.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I remember they had some very colorful, interesting looking front pages for a while

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I’m not too much of a black helicopter guy, but something smells with all these separate entities being involved in each purchase.

Draft saved Draft deleted