1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Every HBO Show Ranked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by garrow, May 30, 2019.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've spent the past 30 years of my life in TV newsrooms and I'm generally an Aaron Sorkin fan.

I thought "The Newsroom" was an absolute steaming heap of dung. Some of y'all are really overrating that thing.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    sgreenwell and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  2. manky_jimy

manky_jimy Active Member

justgladtobehere likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Get thee behind me, Satan! :D

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a thread on the Deadwood movie, which is probably is a statement to the quality.
    I thought it was a dud. The only redeeming quality was the original cast was all back, with the exception of Powers Boothe, who died.*

Interesting trivia: Boothe is buried in his home state of Texas in Deadwood Cemetery.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Sharp Objects was not good. 6.5 episodes of wheel-spinning atmosphere - none of which made it seem like any of the people involved had ever spent any time in the South - followed by 1.5 episodes of “Oh shit, we have to get through the entire plot.” The book deserved way better.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think some of you missed the opening conditions of the article - Animation wasn't included (Fraggle Rock, Ricky Gervais Show), or real-life / documentary shows (Real Sports, Taxi Cab Confessions, etc.), or mini-series / limited series (Generation Kill, Sharp Objects) unless it has been announced that it is continuing (Big Little Lies).

Can't remember where I saw it written, but shows like The Newsroom and House of Cards show how politicians and journalists think of themselves and their influence, whereas Veep, and Parks and Recreation, do a much better job of actually showing how fucking farcical those professions can be.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

They didn't seem to care whether a show had one season or three or eight. John From Cincinnati was pretty high, and it was cancelled after one season. It's like they decided it didn't matter whether a show finished its natural run or not. Maybe because that's out of the control of the creators? I don't know.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That, Dream On (I have a special appreciation for Martin Tupper now that I’m single again) and NNTN.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I’m sure “Ballers” is appropriately ranked in the 50s, but for me it’s a decent mindless half-hour.

10. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Meh, it was a good hearted try. Sixteen years later is too much though. The makeup showed.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the word mindless was in there somewhere, so you're on the same page with them there. :)

Edit: I just checked. I remembered incorrectly. The word mindless is not there, but the review does end with this line: "Easy to consume, but mostly empty calories."

That sounds about right. And Ballers is No. 60 on the list.

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Pretty surprised The Leftovers ranked high. I watched the first season and fell off halfway through the second season, mainly due to other show obligations.

Draft saved Draft deleted