1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I saw the HBO doc, can't believe I didn't know the full story of Theranos but holy cow. Might have to circle back for the book.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Definitely some worthwhile themes in the book that the documentary couldn’t fit in. Holmes’ patent fights and the accounts of sustained aggressive bullying in the workplace are really hard to present via video, and the book nails them.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

My girlfriend recently read the book, and she loved it. I'm interested in reading the book before watching the documentary.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A friend on the Facebooks called this a "weird, weird, weird read," and said she wasn't sure if she liked it or not. So I was happy to find a copy as I was helping to set up the local library's used book sale on Thursday. I started reading it that night and finished it this afternoon.

Yeah, it's odd, but not necessarily weird-x-3. The narrator is a high school kid who intentionally doesn't fit in with any of the cliques at school,but tries to identify with all of them just enough to get through his senior year. He's really awkward and reading the dialogue was painful at times, but I enjoyed this enough to finish it in two days.

Joe Bob says check it out.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Anyone into this type of book will enjoy it.

51ETILdnw8L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

6. Severian

Fantasy YA with a strong female lead?

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Silent Patient; an interesting psychological thriller

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Starting Lonesome Dove, book club at work; I’ve got to finish by July.

Centipedes, who’d have thought they were so dangerous?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  9. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Huge fan of Lonesome Dove. Enjoy

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Just finished Walter Isaacson's Da Vinci bio. I have no interest in art, engineering or medical science but this is a fascinating book. Talk about a guy ahead of his time.

11. Severian

Major imposter syndrome.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Ronald C. White's American Ulysses was decent but Chernow's Grant bio was a lot better.

Draft saved Draft deleted