1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep Coaching Situation: "Tough" Coaching or Verbal Abuse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, May 30, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Prediction: Nothing will happen, coach will continue to be an ass. Players will suck it up and deal with it.

OscarMadison and exmediahack like this.
  2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't speak as a parent because I have no kids.

However, I would be part of any such mutiny as a player.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I would think a couple of seniors would step in and say "dude, really?"

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Lost in OT. 2-1. Golden goal. Son stopped two penalty kicks in regulation to keep it 1-1. TWO.

We were also outshot 22-3.

Comes over to me after the game, asks what he should do about it. I said “after that game, do anything you want”.

He’s packing up for the bus. The coach comes over to him.

Son said “don’t ever disparage me like you did all week.” And got on the bus.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Damn! Good for him!

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. exmediahack

I wrote him a looooong letter yesterday and sent it to him when I knew he was on the bus for the two hour ride to the game.

About what he’s overcome, thrived, what leadership means. Included a cheesy pump up song link for him (Dreams by VH). The main theme was to block out the noise. Spend the whole game playing a mental playlist in your head that only you could hear. Listen to your center back captain but block everyone else out. Even the fans. Even me.

He was pretty loose afterward. Gave some funny quotes to a reporter from another market. “I’m usually not warmed up until I see 30 shots in a game.”

He’s sore physically today but walked away knowing he left it out there. Team is planning to meet with the coach next week to address the tone of practice.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    OscarMadison and Alma like this.
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did the coach react in any way to his comment? Offer any praise for his play?

8. exmediahack

Thanks for asking.

Son said the coach didn’t say anything to him during the game because offense and clearing the ball out were the problems. He said the coach didn’t talk to him on the bus afterward.

I should add that I was 10 feet away when he told this to the coach. Coach looks me at and I shrugged my shoulders as if to say “this is your problem”. It’s frustrating as I’ve run media training sessions for the team throughout the year on how to be a polished interview, handling social media, helping reporters to make their jobs easier, etc.

The coach did praise him in the paper.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They have at least 6 kids who can get scholarships and they were outshot 22-3? Every player on the other team
    going D1?

10. exmediahack

Not full scholarships but moderate college interest. Two are already D1 commits the rest are D2 and high D3/NAIA. D1 and D2 get 9 or 10 scholarships so the program has to slice them up.

Our two D1 guys got 1/4 and 1/3 athletic on top of whatever academic scholarships. One is an attacker and the other is the center back. The opponent kept three guys on the attacker and our center back won all of his battles but opponent found our defensive left is the weak spot and exploited it. Lots of breakaways on that side.

In men’s soccer, scholarships are extremely tight and the few full rides often go to international players.

High school soccer is very much a weakest link sport. A good team that has few weak spots on defense and can keep possession for 9 or 10 passes can neutralize top opponents who don’t have these teams. If you have a team that can disrupt a possession and easily clear the ball, you’ll be successful. We did that most of the year. This opponent had mastered it.

In this particular tournament, most of the D1 players got knocked out early unless they were on super teams. Quite a few didn’t even make it out of sectionals.

Other team has won something like 30 straight. All of their seniors are playing past HS - one D1 but most D2/D3.

One inside baseball note. Club teams. This particular high school has its own club program where they play six months out of the year. They don’t always win those titles but these kids all play together 12 months instead of four months (ex: our roster plays on 4 different clubs). The players on this other team were airtight, seemingly never out of position, always knew where the other kid was going. It was gorgeous to watch.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That would be a great quote from a 30-year-old veteran, never mind a teenager. You've done an admirable job with him.

I wonder if something was/is going on in that coach's life that would make him turn into such an a-hole. Not defending him, of course, but one never knows.

exmediahack likes this.
  12. exmediahack

Well... the two captains met with the coach this morning and presented their issues from the team. No AD. Just in his empty classroom. Coach said he was shocked to hear that he had come across as so negative.

Offered his resignation from the coaching position if the team thought it would be the best course.

(My take: that's a shrewd move by him. Like Belichick not calling timeout against the Seahawks.)

Draft saved Draft deleted