1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure where to put this, and I settled on here. Who played live more than the Dead?

I first saw them in 1974, and "Workingman's Dead" and "American Beauty" will be on my playlist till I die. Americana before we knew such a thing existed. Anyhow, great article on Bob Weir.

The Grateful Dead's Bob Weir Will Not Rest

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is that some sort of reprint? Otherwise the digital era 104.1 makes no sense.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's an FM radio frequency.

4. TigerVols

Not in 1972 or whatever it wasn't...was it?

5. PCLoadLetter

Sure. K-EARTH in L.A. has been on 101.1 since like 1948.

6. TigerVols

Hmmm obviously I didn't realize that. GTK.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The Lonely Island. Not a terrific concert in the usual sense, but a freaking great time.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The finale of Paul McCartney’s Freshen Up Tour at Dodger Stadium on Saturday was interesting. He was really good, as always (it was my fifth McCartney show), but the set list was different. No Yesterday, Twist and Shout, Revolution or a lot of other staples but a number of newer and more obscure numbers.

The highlight, not to bury the lead, was an appearance by Ringo Starr on drums for Helter Skelter during the encore.

Paul McCartney Setlist at Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hear good things about the current Queen tour.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

11. PCLoadLetter

12. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

s
    Saw the sold out opening concert of the Tour on Wednesday at Rogers Centre in Vancouver. I’ve seen a fair number of rock shows in my time but nothing like this, from the perspective of lights and special effects. This one trails only McCartney and that’s because he’s my favourite musician of all time, otherwise would be number one. May and Taylor are friggin unbelievable, Lambert excellent and they are backed by bass and keyboard players and a second drummer. Big full sound and May brings it. Mercury digitally recreated and shown on the massive backdrop of individual visual screens that change constantly during each song. Highlight for me was Mays tribute to Apollo 11 moon landing 50 years ago with long guitar instrumental, 5 minutes at least, descending into “Tie Your Mother Down”....the place went nuts. The screens showed the Milky Way, the planets and moon while he played. HM to “bohemian Rhapsody “ with Freddie on the backdrop for part of the song and May just killing the guitar work. “Fat Bottom Girls” was a show stopper. 20 minutes late starting, I hate that, and played for 2:20. Everyone I saw walked out with big stupid grins on their faces.

Draft saved Draft deleted