1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memorial Day, Veterans Day, what's the difference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, May 27, 2019.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Saw a cartoon on the opinion page in the Sunday edition of the Gannett paper in Springfield, Missouri.

No one there or at the Design Studio saw this and realized this is Memorial Day weekend, not the Veterans Day holiday in November?

This is Example No. 1,716 that begs the question: If you can't get the easy things right, why should readers trust you can get the difficult things right?

Screenshot_20190527-121810_Springfield News Leader.jpg

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Memorial Day - remembering those who died.
    Veterans Day - honoring those who served.

Liut likes this.
  3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Memorial Day = Ok to wear summer seasonals
    Labor Day = Time to put that summer fling on ice
    Veterans Day = last day to invite someone to Thanksgiving dinner if it involves travel

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Looking at the date in the upper right (2015), it's apparent that someone searched for "patriotic cartoon" on a server somewhere and chose this one for Memorial Day. Not the cartoonist's fault. But, echoing a different thread, where are the editors?

Signed,
    An editor

Liut and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Memorial Day has lost its meaning to some. It is a day to honor and remember those who died in service to the country. Not those who served or those who served and later died.

The day seems to have morphed into another chance to honor the military, which is what Veterans Day is.

Liut likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And we already got 17 NFL Sundays in the fall for that hype...

Liut likes this.
  7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I agree, 100 percent not the cartoonist's fault. I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but there are (or should have been, at least) at least 3-4 people who saw this cartoon before it went to print and nixed it. Even on a holiday weekend.

But I'm guessing it was seen by maybe just 1 - the designer at the Design Studio - who found it, threw it on the page and then went on to the 3 dozen other pages they had to plow through.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I grew up in a military town, and this drives me nuts. I see people who had a parent or grandparent who served do this ALL the damn time on Facebook. Sometimes even friends whose family members are still serving. Memorial Day ain't for them. Veterans Day is when you honor the veterans who have served. Armed Forces Day is when you honor those who are serving. Memorial Day is a special day for those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Draft saved Draft deleted