1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP to one of our own, one of our best -- Craig Stanke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 29, 2012.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Craig was very kind to me, in both editing and rejection, a true gentleman.

Amy likes this.
  2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There has been a major void around here these past five years without Craig's wisdom, counsel, opinions and guidance. He's dearly missed.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Thanks for those, Pseudo.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about him, and just about everyone on this thread, for weeks. Just re-read all of the emails and personal messages we exchanged, and I'm overwhelmed with feelings. I'm also laughing about what he'd think about compound modifiers and hyphens are still a source of stress in my professional life.

Missing you, SF. Missing you, Stanke.

Riptide likes this.
  6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Stanke and I both worked for the Clearwater Sun, but I started after Stanke left for Fort Lauderdale
    I got to meet him though, especially on a memorable night in Fort Lauderdale after covering a Miami-Florida State game
    I tried, and failed, to keep up with him on a bar night
    He later hired me for the copy desk in Jacksonville
    I had been in Clearwater for 5 1/2 years and was wondering if I'd ever move on
    I ended up working 28 years at The Detroit News
    It never would have happened if it weren't for Craig Stanke

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Might have said it before in this thread (didn't go back to check), but every time I hear "Disco Inferno" I can see Stanke dancing and every time I hear "Heaven's Just a Sin Away" I can hear him trying to sing. Then, whenever I think of my start in this business, he's there, too. RIP.

Amy and CD Boogie like this.
  8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

"I can hear him trying to sing." You definitely knew him.

He told me he started a Bluegrass band because one didn't need to be able to sing to sing Bluegrass.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

It is appropriate that I received an email this morning confirming all was in place so I could now share this news.

On behalf of Alyson, Eric and Ellen Stanke, Krissy Erickson and myself, I am pleased to announce the establishment of the Craig Stanke Scholarship at the University of Wisconsin’s School of Journalism. The first applications can be made next fall/winter, with the first grant made in the spring of 2020. It will be financial need based with preference given to students intending to get this new sports focused certification

SJMC Announces New Sports Communication Certificate

It is not a large dollar amount so we can fund it ourselves, which we have committed to do for at least five years.

I don’t think there was a part of the business that meant more to Craig than mentoring young journalists. We can’t replace that, but we can help in this small way.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I posted this on Craig's Facebook page
    Thank you

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nice.

Thanks for the update, Amy.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Draft saved Draft deleted