1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2019 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 10, 2019.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

You can't lump the entire town and everybody in it together on this issue.
    You questioned the character of my friend, who was career Army, is now in the reserve, did a tour of Afghanistan when he was 55 years old, and is on-call with the local fire department.
    I don't think his character is up for judgment.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

OK, how about this. Anybody that is ok with the hiring of Briles in the name of winning high school football games is of questionable character regardless of their past or current profession. Maybe your friend is not one of those people.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Thanks for the do-over. Next time think before you post.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yeah but his practice planning is impeccable, and he knows good drills for individual improvement!

#crossboard

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The school board and administrators who made this hire have no idea what they're in for. If any member of the football team commits bad acts, even harassment, against women the whole school system and town government will be under the national media spotlight until they all melt. That is not a bet I'd make on any large group of male adolescents, let alone jocks.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Good old twitter. Some of the UAB faithful were peevish after seeing this gem aimed at Bro-Country star and former UAB QB Sam Hunt.

Note: Bart Starr graduated from Alabama before Bear Bryant started coaching there. UAB was established in 1969 and did not have a football team until 1991.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

For a moment, reading that tweet, I thought I was in the politics thread.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Maybe I’m dim here, but what would the NCAA have said about Art Briles?

Reading the ESPN book would have been enough of a vetting. The answer would have been “ah, no.”

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There’s a growing fear at Baylor that the NCAA simply has it in for the school

Investigation pending.

“According to sources, the NCAA believes football players at Baylor had a different set of rules than students when it came to disciplinary cases. That’s a major violation if the NCAA can prove it. The NCAA feels Baylor was using a dated system to handle the football program, much the way problems were addressed in the 1970s and ’80s.”

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Man the fucking parents are wearing the uniforms now. A bunch of 40-50 year old dads somehow thought it was a great idea to put on a college uniform and sadly the coach that green lit this didn't tell them to "get the fuck out of here".

Draft saved Draft deleted