1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to leave sportswriting and never regret a second

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 25, 2019.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

No, you never said that before. That was totally unique, and I am floored by the depth of your versatility.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm sending a lot of resumes to those types of places. I haven't had any luck, but perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I made it through the first night at the driving job. It's going to take a little getting used to. They drive fast. Too fast for me. I don't feel safe, but I need the job. I hope it gets better.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got in touch with John after I read the article that led off this thread - having dinner at his restaurant tonight

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Tip well ...

HanSenSE, Fredrick and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I did - and it was great to catch up with John

7. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

The greatest talents are shrouded in obscurity. Beautiful read and touching too. Hat's off to JW.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

[narrator] They aren't.

RonClements likes this.
  9. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

How often does it happen that the greatest talents are shrouded in obscurity. - Plautus

Take the word of Plautus over Azreal anyday, no disrespect to you Azrael.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Plautus!

11. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

don't get down @Smallpotatoes. I had very little interest after layoff from Gannett, but a small weekly reached out instantly a couple months ago. Been working there. Just for a job. Now a local TV station reached out to me about the Content Manager job and I just got offered a job from a local medical facility where I would be making nearly double the money for not much responsibility. It works that way...nothing for a couple months even years (I put in app at medical facility twice before and nothing, third time the charm!). But at this time the thug has significant heat!! Your skills translate!

12. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I quit my job as an NFL reporter for Perform Media (the England-based parent company of Sporting News) last year to travel with my wife and love it. We went to all 30 MLB stadiums in one season, have been through 44 states and two Canadian provinces so far (greetings from West Virginia on June 28, 2019), and I wrote a book about our 2018 trip that will be out in July. It was a rewarding journey, especially because we partnered with a foster care organization and got kids out to games in Miami, Greensboro, Durham, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Denver and St. Louis. While I miss the steady paycheck, I've picked up freelance work here and there, did some Uber driving in Florida, and love the freedom to be my own boss (when my wife lets me). I got credentialed under my own name and website for the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine, and the Missouri Valley Conference basketball tournament, and have been out to NFL team facilities in Cleveland, San Francisco (Santa Clara), Los Angeles (Chargers), Phoenix and Nashville.
    If you're willing to get out of your comfort zone while still staying in the business, I highly recommend it.
    Also, check out HomeRunOnWheels.com and RonClementsSports.com.
    Cheers.

Skylar and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted