1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I just saw that pop up on Netflix. Is it everything one hopes it can be?

I’ve been binging Mad Men. I’m now towards the end of season 4, its taken a week of watching to get there. My wife didn’t like the show the first go around, this time she likes it some. We’ve both noticed that on the 2nd viewing Don isn't as big an asshole as we previously thought but Betty is the worst person in the series.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Season 2 is nowhere near the quality of Seasons 1 and 3.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think you replied to the wrong person

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You are right. I meant Broadchurch.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Episode 4 of Chernobyl ... that was a brutal watch.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Seems like it's a best-of-three series. Rubber match in season 3. Not sure how much longer they can keep it going as it is.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Ugh I hate moronic writing. In a show I'm watching, a cop is calling in a shooting and needs an ambulance "code 4." Jesus, it's not a rising scale.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Chernobyl is one of the best TV shows of the year. It'll definitely nab the Emmy for best limited series.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Hot Zone has more filler in it than a cheap hot dog. Over 2 hours it’d be decent. Over 6 it’s close to insulting, how scenes drag on and on, how fear of something happening is leveraged into scene after scene of something almost happening, but not.

Just to give you an idea: This is a TV show that has to manufacture a scene where toxic syringes have been carelessly thrown away in the trash. Next to a park. Where there’s a hole in a fence. And a kid comes through it. To pick up a syringe. And when he’s confronted, he briefly holds the syringe like one might a knife and says “don’t hurt me.”

This is a throwaway scene, understand.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm getting more and more intolerant of such writing. I know they are fluff shows, but a lot of the CBS procedurals are ridiculous when it comes to stuff like sending only three police cars to stop a terrorist or having an FBI agent investigating a case involving her husband.

And 9-1-1 on Fox, which is especially bad, has the Los Angeles Fire Department responding to calls in neighboring cities that have their own FD. That's just lazy writing. Having a call take place in Glendale instead of LA adds nothing to the story.

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

This is exactly why I hate police/fire/hospital/court shows. I can't suspend my belief for them.

The only good cop show I'll watch is Brooklyn 99.

12. Spartan Squad

I think that's exactly why I typically don't watch those kinds of shows. The exceptions of ones I really liked were Law and Order (where I think greater care was taken not to just be utterly ridiculous even if it wasn't 100 percent accurate) and House (which had more to do with the character development and plot lines than anything actual medical). I'm making an exception right now for Lucifer on Netflix because for some stupid reason, the characters actually have me hooked. The writing is not great and the plot is meh, but I actually like the stupid things Lucifer is getting himself into. That is where I heard someone calling in an emergency response as "code 4." I was able to forgive just about everything else about the show, but that really stuck in my craw.

Draft saved Draft deleted