1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI is down to just 38 issues this year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 16, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I got a better idea: I'll send you a self-addressed stamped envelope and you can send me $30.

MTM likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There are features worth reading in almost every issue, but they're all still online for free.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The fewer issues do allow SI to focus on what it does best - in-depth profiles, deep dives and analysis - but seeing the SI cover after a major sporting event used to be a big deal - it just isn't anymore. But even with the thicker bi-weekly issues, the monthly page count is down.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

ESPN Magazine is now a monthly?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't read SI for much anymore other than the college football coverage.

6. DanOregon

Wrote a letter to the editor this week:

"
    I would ask the editors to PLEASE STOP WITH THE YELLOW AND WHITE INK!!!!!!

The use of it is indecipherable. The print is small enough - but the yellow and white ink is terrible. It looks bad and makes for an unreadable magazine."

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That does not sound good. The brand is about to be whored out.

9. DanOregon

Yeah, I think I'd be wary of extending the subscription. At best they'll do periodic NFL, MLB, Hockey and NBA preview issues, a Swimsuit issue. Sadly, I imagine the most marketable thing most print products have is their name.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed. Headed down the same path as Life and Newsweek as an editorial product with special editions (but think of that deep photo library for boxing, Super Bowls, Olympics, etc.). But SI-branded batting gloves, anyone? Or a vacation to an SI resort (much like ESPN's Wide World of Sports, and how that name has fallen)?

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  11. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

$110 million? Jesus Christ people will buy anything huh. No way they ever get that investment back

12. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

SI is unreadable now. Too political, too leftist agenda driven.

Draft saved Draft deleted